+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Heads up

VXRed

Default Heads up

Hi. Just to make you all aware. I just renewed my car insurance now the car i have is vxr8 clubsport LS3 when you go on line to get a quote it always comes up as a Bathurst which has always insured my car as there was no other choice I have always insured my car with all the bells and whistles on my policy which is with Hastings Direct. Premier policy. Now while talking on the phone to the very helpful insurance person who told me that i was insuring the wrong car i have always known that i have not got a Bathurst but it took a lot of time to try and explain the car i really drove. So it looks like I could have been driving illegally. So be careful

VXRed

I have always wondered where insurances companies stand when you give them a number plate and they fill in the car details. I mean they have supplied the details, they have accepted your money, so surely they have taken the risk.

For instance my son has a child under 4 and this puts his premium up by about £200 a year. Now the car in question is never going to have a child in it as a passenger so the question they ask is redundant.
    Also as a grandparent they ask me if I have any children under 18, I don't of course but it does not stop me carrying grand children in my car does it. Most of these questions asked are just to put the price up. I now go with what a chap I work with said, to shop around every year and go with the lowest quote you can get. The insurance companies will screw us so best we pay them the minimum we can.
    By the way I insured my VXR8 in January for £240 for the year fully comp and that includes commuting (although I don't commute in the peak hours).

Quote Originally Posted by Mantahatch View Post
    I now go with what a chap I work with said, to shop around every year and go with the lowest quote you can get. The insurance companies will screw us so best we pay them the minimum we can.
    By the way I insured my VXR8 in January for £240 for the year fully comp and that includes commuting (although I don't commute in the peak hours).
    Definitely agree with you there. They don't show any loyalty to us, so why should we show any loyalty to a particular insurance company?
    Who did you get your insurance through to get that quote?

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by MontyPythonX View Post
    Definitely agree with you there. They don't show any loyalty to us, so why should we show any loyalty to a particular insurance company?
    Who did you get your insurance through to get that quote?
    Mine is with Direct Line for this year, I will say I do live in a reasonbly safe area and mileage is limited to 4k and sadly I am of an age (52) still young at heart and loving the car still, 20 months of ownership and no sign of boredom with it yet.

Foot note was with Hastings direct for first year and that was £340 when it came to renewal they wanted £420 upon telling them I was off they dropped it to £270, if they started there I probably would have stayed.
    Last edited by Mantahatch; 31st July 2017 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Extra info

VXR enough

Quote Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
    Hi. Just to make you all aware. I just renewed my car insurance now the car i have is vxr8 clubsport LS3 when you go on line to get a quote it always comes up as a Bathurst which has always insured my car as there was no other choice I have always insured my car with all the bells and whistles on my policy which is with Hastings Direct. Premier policy. Now while talking on the phone to the very helpful insurance person who told me that i was insuring the wrong car i have always known that i have not got a Bathurst but it took a lot of time to try and explain the car i really drove. So it looks like I could have been driving illegally. So be careful
    Interesting, the UK designation for the car is the Vauxhall VXR8 LS3. The Australian designation for the car is the Holden Clubsport R8. On most insurers databases the VXR8 Bathurst and VXR8 Bathhurst S, which are modded by Walkinshaw, show up as Vauxhall standard cars because Vauxhall sold them through dealerships. Putting Clubsport into the search engine while trying to insure a standard VXR8 appears to throw a spanner in the works As far as having the wrong car, if the information you provide the insurance company is accurate, your not at fault. Now, if you were to tell them your Bathurst is worth a lot more than your actual VXR8 is, that could be crossing into the line of trying to defraud an insurance company Basically in English contract law the courts look at what was the intent when entering into the contract. Your intent was to insure your standard Vauxhall VXR8 LS3, their computers produced the errors. As long as your only claiming the genuine value of the car whose registrtion you actually owned, I don't think you'd have a problem. If the police pull you over you have insurance for the car with that registration number, going to take a really clued up copper to know its not a Bathurst

VXR enough

[QUOTE=Mantahatch;3849242]
    For instance my son has a child under 4 and this puts his premium up by about £200 a year. Now the car in question is never going to have a child in it as a passenger so the question they ask is redundant.

It's actually probably about the lifestyle of the driver rather than whether the under 4 will be in the car. Exhausted, sleep deprived parents are more of a driving risk than wide awake single folk

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by blackadder9570 View Post
    Interesting, the UK designation for the car is the Vauxhall VXR8 LS3. The Australian designation for the car is the Holden Clubsport R8. On most insurers databases the VXR8 Bathurst and VXR8 Bathhurst S, which are modded by Walkinshaw, show up as Vauxhall standard cars because Vauxhall sold them through dealerships. Putting Clubsport into the search engine while trying to insure a standard VXR8 appears to throw a spanner in the works As far as having the wrong car, if the information you provide the insurance company is accurate, your not at fault. Now, if you were to tell them your Bathurst is worth a lot more than your actual VXR8 is, that could be crossing into the line of trying to defraud an insurance company Basically in English contract law the courts look at what was the intent when entering into the contract. Your intent was to insure your standard Vauxhall VXR8 LS3, their computers produced the errors. As long as your only claiming the genuine value of the car whose registrtion you actually owned, I don't think you'd have a problem. If the police pull you over you have insurance for the car with that registration number, going to take a really clued up copper to know its not a Bathurst
    Hi. Blackadder. I tried to explain this to the insurance company and was on the phone for an hour they were saying the reg did not match to a Bathurst I told them that it wasn't they then asked what it was called I told them a clubsport LS3 they then came back saying they had the GTS or Bathurst but could not find the clubsport. Just had Admiral ring to quote me the starting price before the addons was. £190

[QUOTE=blackadder9570;3849265]

It's actually probably about the lifestyle of the driver rather than whether the under 4 will be in the car. Exhausted, sleep deprived parents are more of a driving risk than wide awake single folk
    Still a load of rubbish though, single people could get just as tired as a parent lol.

VXRed

[QUOTE=blackadder9570;3849265]

Never thought of it that way. Sadly he takes after me when I was younger and could sleep through anything, heck I even slept soundly through the great storm in 1987 (yawn). That said now I can't sleep more than 5 hours max but oddly not tired all day, getting older is great (not).

VXR enough

[QUOTE=Cal93;3849283]
    Quote Originally Posted by blackadder9570 View Post

Still a load of rubbish though, single people could get just as tired as a parent lol.
    True. But insurance companies work on averages and statistics. They have these weird people called actuaries who work out likely risks for them. Years ago we had a Swiss German language student staying with us who was studying to be an actuary, incredible, the level of maths required was higher than for a chartered accountant, and he also had to be fluent in English. I think as you get older, 70+, insurance should go up as your abilities deteriorate, but they don't...actuaries are smarter than I am

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast