+ Reply to Thread
    VXRed

Default Caliper Noise but caliper stripped and seems ok?

Hi, newbie after some advice please. By brakes were brilliant but decided to buy new discs and pads for the front as discs grooved. The mechanic did the work and now when I put my foot on the brake it makes a noise like someone has sat on a squeaky bed and you can feel it under your foot. This happens with stationary or not. The caliper has been taken apart twice and no one can see what the problem is. Breaks are only about 70% at the moment and I don't know whether this is another issue or due to the new noise or just the fact that the pads haven't bedded in yet.

Any ideas fellow people

Bruce

What exactly are you feeling under your foot?
    OPC ÉIRE
    Drop me a PM for Irish meets, group adds etc.

VXRed

when driving it feels like its catching on something, like ABS but not as extreme, but at a stand still it sounds like an old squeaky door. There are no leaks but when I put my foot on the brake when stationary, the pedal wants to go down in stages. Also the car has started a kind of brake squeal when going round a right hand bend.??

I'd take pads out and rub down the metal edges to me sounds like they're catching on the brake calliper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It most likely is down to the pad:disc interface not being mated properly yet though. There's likely and edge of the pad that meets the disc first and then the upper edge of the pad takes time to be pushed out further by the piston to meet the disc. You'll probably have a bit of excess dusting during this time also, until it's time to bed in the new pads.

If not the above, it sounds a bit like air being trapped in the brake lines- pedal goes down easy as pockets of air are easily compressed, then meets the resistance of the brake fluid.
    It can give a crunchy feel as the air bubbles are compressed and forcably dissolved within the glycol fluid. Might even need to bleed out the ABS unit.
    OPC ÉIRE
    Drop me a PM for Irish meets, group adds etc.

VXRed

The piston needed lubricating and I don't think he'd put the clip back in properly, however! the plot thickens! We sort the brakes and I'm just about to leave when 3 warning lights come on. Suspension, ABS & Traction control. He had a look and noticed that cause my suspension had been lowered, the loom had been tied back but the tyre has worn through it. He tested every wire and didn't get a short but said it may be the hub sensor that can only be replaced as a new wheel bearing. Any advice please?

Bruce

Is it n/s or o/s if n/s speedo will be strange. But try and get any codes to determine left or right side.

VXRed

Burn it and claim on insurance.
    Vectra VXR estate 07

Been thinking of that for awhile now just need to bump up the insurance. Lol

+ Reply to Thread