+ Reply to Thread
    VXRed

Default Rear shelf speakers given up (2009Ls3)

Hi all, rear sub speakers decided to start buzzing and cutting in and out yesterday. It's a stock system not brilliant but was ok. I'm thinking to replace the amp only as don't want to go down a head unit search. Can anyone tell me where the amp is (I think it's by the battery but not sure) Anyother help or advice would be great. Thanks.

Regional Assistant - Essex Hey Mr Chicken badboyburt's Avatar

Remove the boot carpet covering the battery side and the amp is near the wheel arch.

Check the connections to the speakers as they are known yo be brittle and quite a few where wired in reverse. A lot of us have rewired them the correct way and it does make a difference.

V8, not for everyone but 10/10 for your effort.

VXRed

Thanks for this ..... I'll look and check speakers for wireing over the next few days. As the buzzing and cutting out only started a few days ago and the rest of the set up sounds fine I think I'm in the right area. Any way I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again ..

VXRed

Thanks for advice really helpful; however having checked everything i see I need to replace the speakers as they have been damaged in the past so no wonder they have given up. Any advice on how to remove the rear seats and speakers would be gratefully received. Thanks

VXRed

Thanks for the earlier advice.
    Up date for anyone wondering how things went. Seats came out easily, Base simply pulls up, and rear seats and center section unbolt in sections. Rear shelf un-clipped and pulls straight out. Seems the speakers have been played with before! wiring dreadful and speaker cones split, the amp was not much better having been played with and strangely damaged and the turn up screw was missing!. Anyway, took the pair of 8 ins speakers out and left open mounts to allow sound in from a boot woofer system. These will be covered by the shelf speaker outer grills anyway. Replaced entire rear woofer set up with the with new Pioneer TS-WX70DA system. No special wiring needed and the original wires to the amp simply hooked up out the way and only the signal wire needed from the head unit. Not hugely powerful (200w) but a huge improvement from stock. Result is nothing short of amazing. Better bass, no buzzing and for what i need its perfect. You even get a remote control of the frequencies in case its too much. Ill have the window open on summer months as the engine sound track beats any stereo but in the colder months with the windows up this will be great.
    If anyone is thinking about this simple upgrade its well worth a look.

+ Reply to Thread