Closed Thread
    VXR newbie

Default Corsa VXR E Gearbox

Hi

I have seen a lot of posts about m32 gearbox being problematic but seen very few VXR E models showing issues on forums. With their updating of the gearbox I don't suppose they bothered to upgrade the parts with issues ? maybe it's just biding its time

Just looking at getting a 65 plate with 16k miles, no sign of gearbox issues so far but I really don't want to be ordering a car that spends more time at the garage than with me.

Could just get another ST mountune but I had 2 of those in the past so thought it may be time for a change, plus seems that they are seriously getting stolen with the whole OBD port issue ....

VXRed

My 2016 E is hitting just over 11000 miles and so far no issues with the gearbox or any other bits really.

Yorkie

I think the gearbox is overall the same as the later 'd' models and mine is one with the later modified box.
    The main problem with earlier versions was the bearings and these were uprated with larger, more reliable parts.
    The Vauxhall service schedule advises a gearbox oil change on a major service, but not on the later boxes. These boxes also had increased oil capacity.
    Although the gearbox on mine is certainly not the smoothest I've had, it has been okay to date.
    I would rather have a chance of a gearbox repair a couple of years down the line than a nicked car.... that will cost a whole lot more. It could end up being difficult to get insurance on something that is easy to steal.

Same, my 65 plate VXR E is just over 15,000 miles and I've had no problems with the gearbox at all or anything else.

VXRed

Having come from 2 ST's myself the advice would be to just get another. Apart from the infotainment system the Ford is miles ahead of the VXR.
    No catastrophic issues with the VXR's Gearbox yet but it's just awful. Clunky, Stiff, extremely loud. I've changed the oil twice to no prevail. In cold weather it can be almost impossible into some gears.

VXR newbie

just found this http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/gear.../info_227.html

so they increased the oil flow and bearing size apparently ?

Having come from 2 ST's myself the advice would be to just get another. Apart from the infotainment system the Ford is miles ahead of the VXR.
    No catastrophic issues with the VXR's Gearbox yet but it's just awful. Clunky, Stiff, extremely loud. I've changed the oil twice to no prevail. In cold weather it can be almost impossible into some gears.
    They are great cars, no doubt, just not nice going walkies, I actually think the entertainment system is pretty terrible TBH, but personal preference I guess and I am aware the VXR I am looking at has the original system and not the upgraded one so is supposed to be not great. Biggest problem I noticed on the test drive was a stupid vibrating / buzzing coming from passenger side near the window / pillar , sounded like plastic rubbing / vibrating. I currently have an MX5 and that system is actually really good, be nice to bring it with me

The Vauxhall service schedule advises a gearbox oil change on a major service, but not on the later boxes. These boxes also had increased oil capacity.
    So they don't recommend changing the oil ? .... eek

Although the gearbox on mine is certainly not the smoothest I've had, it has been okay to date.
    I would rather have a chance of a gearbox repair a couple of years down the line than a nicked car.... that will cost a whole lot more. It could end up being difficult to get insurance on something that is easy to steal.
    Yeah it's nuts, even the RS is stealable in about 30 sec , scary stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9DxdnxBku8 , ST is the same , as are a lot of the Fords, mostly the keyless start ones . I mean I know no car is totally secure, but they could at least try , I mean even the ODB port is about as close and accessible to the window as you could wish for

Same, my 65 plate VXR E is just over 15,000 miles and I've had no problems with the gearbox at all or anything else.
    Good news

Default Corsa VXR E Gearbox

I came from a Fiesta Mk7 ST to my Corsa 'Burg and haven't looked back once! Saying the ST is miles ahead, well I'am not buying that at all.

Anyways I'am in 31k and my Gearbox seems fine. Regular Oil changes and mechanical sympathy goes along way and i can change Gears in the cold haha.
    Fiesta Mk5 ZS>Fiesta Mk6 ST>Clio 172>Astra 'H' VXR>Fiesta Mk7 ST>Corsa 'D' VXR Nurburgring

VXR enough

42k on my 07 plate box.

You're right about he sympathy - we had a Astra H with the m32 box and no oil changes and you needed a sledgehammer to get it into gear warm or cold.
    Corsa SRI Turbo (SOLD) and Facelift Corsa 1.4 SE (SOLD) - Now Ecoboost Fiesta 140 and Suzuki GS500

VXR newbie

Well I bought the car, mostly it is good

But I would say maybe 1 in every 10 - 15 gearchanges 2nd - 3rd it just fails to go in , no crunch , no nothing just like there i something stopping it, if you let the pressure off and do it again it goes straight in. Really annoying as you can never 100% rely on it. As always with these intermittent issues I am sure the garage will not be able to recreate it. Or it will be 'characteristic of the car' and my gearchange will be at fault, I have dealt with dealers a lot :P

It's only ever second to third (and more likely when cold) , anyone else seen this ?

My car has just hit 19k and due it's second service on Monday, my gear box is whining when turning the steering full lock so will need the oil changed. It's something to do with the diff as my burg used to make the same noise.
    Corsa VXR Nürburgring 280 - Gone!
    Corsa E VXR flash blue,performance pack + toys - Gone!
    Golf R 7.5 indium grey, Black Pretorias +toys -oh yeah!

Closed Thread