Closed Thread
    VXRed

Default perfect tool for the job (stem seals)

The one subject that every vxr owner has probably looked at while owning one. Stem seals. I've just replaced my tonight with nevlocks seal and retainer combined. I was stuck between doing them with the head on or go all out and replace the head gasket manifold gaskets etc. Anyway decided to do it with head on. Weapon of choice
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Recommend this to anyone. Comes with everything you need. Even attachments for compressed air if you have a compressor. I still use the rope method. Most of the garages that do this with head on also have a similar tool probably a little better quality but you get what you pay for. Really good magnet for removing the collets. Straight snd angled stem seal pliers. Even attachments for diesel cars. Takes 2 minutes to attache to the top of the head.

It took me around 3 hours in total. Would've been a little quicker if the timing belt tensioner bolt wasn't rounded of. Service book says vauxhdl replaced the last timing belt.. scary realy gaha. I wanted to do a step by step but as always battery died once started haha.

Anyway thought I'd share as I know many people are sways in need of the lisle tool that you hammer. Personaly i prefer this one

VXR enough

Quote Originally Posted by evans0291 View Post
    The one subject that every vxr owner has probably looked at while owning one. Stem seals. I've just replaced my tonight with nevlocks seal and retainer combined. I was stuck between doing them with the head on or go all out and replace the head gasket manifold gaskets etc. Anyway decided to do it with head on. Weapon of choice
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Recommend this to anyone. Comes with everything you need. Even attachments for compressed air if you have a compressor. I still use the rope method. Most of the garages that do this with head on also have a similar tool probably a little better quality but you get what you pay for. Really good magnet for removing the collets. Straight snd angled stem seal pliers. Even attachments for diesel cars. Takes 2 minutes to attache to the top of the head.

It took me around 3 hours in total. Would've been a little quicker if the timing belt tensioner bolt wasn't rounded of. Service book says vauxhdl replaced the last timing belt.. scary realy gaha. I wanted to do a step by step but as always battery died once started haha.

Anyway thought I'd share as I know many people are sways in need of the lisle tool that you hammer. Personaly i prefer this one
    presume the rope method is down the spark plug hole then turn eng over to compress rope

VXRed

Yeh about 6ft of rope into the cylinder

VXRed

Sorry bit more in detail. With the spark plug removed and piston down feed about 6 foot of rope in the cylinder. Then turn crankshaft by hand until it's tight ( don't put to much pressure on it ). Give the rope a quick tug to see if it's caught. If not put a little more pressure on crank. After you remove snd replace one spring and go back to the crank and check it's still tight as it may move a little each time you compress the spring. And try to keep the rooe clean in between cylinders so no debris enter the engine

Closed Thread