+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Brake calliper piston??

I was changing my break pads on my car and when changing the drivers side pads. The piston seems to be stuck and won't wind back in the calliper?

Any ideas how to solve it?

It's stuck and need ways to get it back in

Front or rear?

Rear needs a rewind tool. Fronts should push back in. Try loosening off the bleeder nipple and squeezing it with a clamp if it's the front.

If nothing's working and it's seized then you'll need a new caliper or a rebuild kit

Quote Originally Posted by Ant21 View Post
    Front or rear?

Rear needs a rewind tool. Fronts should push back in. Try loosening off the bleeder nipple and squeezing it with a clamp if it's the front.

If nothing's working and it's seized then you'll need a new caliper or a rebuild kit
    It's the rear one. Passenger side I changed fine but the drivers one I just can't seem to get in. The rewind tool won't work on the drivers side

you need a left hand thread rewind back tool as they are sided on the rear , strip down the tool you have and just use the rod part and wind and push hard to get piston back in the opposite way you done the passenger side.

Quote Originally Posted by nippyrascal View Post
    you need a left hand thread rewind back tool as they are sided on the rear , strip down the tool you have and just use the rod part and wind and push hard to get piston back in the opposite way you done the passenger side.
    We have tried that but it still just won't budge atall

Quote Originally Posted by nippyrascal View Post
    You sure? Mine both went the same way using the same tool...

Anyway, try winding out the piston slightly and then back in. You may have to use a large ratchet on the tool for extra leverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant21 View Post
    You sure? Mine both went the same way using the same tool...

Anyway, try winding out the piston slightly and then back in. You may have to use a large ratchet on the tool for extra leverage.
    I think it's because the pads were so low (almost to the bare metal) it's come out so far it won't go back in

Quote Originally Posted by Jiron14 View Post
    I think it's because the pads were so low (almost to the bare metal) it's come out so far it won't go back in
    If she's refusing to go back in, then it's going to be a new caliper / rebuild unfortunately.

Just found this video pal. Maybe it will be of some use to you, but also confirms that both rear calipers go clockwise to get the pistons back in. Shows a trick with a G clamp and grips, maybe that will work for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWrjW20vs2c&t=899s

my corsa vxr and my daughters astra sri are clock and anti clock wise , I have not done my astra vxr yet but sure one goes the other way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast