+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Buying advice gtc vxr

Hi all,

Im a complete newby to the vxr range i did previously own a mk2 focus ST now i know there may be some rivalry between owners but im making the switch lol. I am viewing a gtc vxr tomorrow its on a 12 plate with 35,000 miles, like i said im a complete newby and if anybody could tell me what to look out for tomorrow that would be appriciated, the car has had 3 previous owners and 9 stamps in the service book, ive test drove one today near me (north yorkshire) i had no intention on buying it as it was in red and too expencive, but the one im off to look at tomorrow is in blue and within my budget but it is 290 miles away hence the test drive of one today, the one i test drove today had a cortney induction and down pipe but im not sure on a map and my god the thing was leaving with or wothout me haha. Now i knlw this would of given me a faulse review on how the car drives as the one im going to see tomorrow is completly standard but as im planing on tuning the one im seeying tomorrow it sort of game me an idea of whats to be expected! Cheers guys much appriciated. Wont let me upload pics so hears link.. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...o=12000&page=2

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Alloys been refurbished probably been resprayed as well like a lot off early Astra gtc where. Check breaks and the seats as they are common for breaking.

Cheers bud ill check brakes thoroughly tomorrow

VXRed

Go through the J threads on this forum as there are a few where people have reported some issues, so it's a good way to get some idea of what to look out for.

From my experience of buying a used one of these I would advise the following:

Make sure you get a proper warranty on it that covers the transmission and will cover you to take it to a local garage. Some of these get thrashed and the gearbox, flywheel and clutch can go bad quite quickly (mine has had all 3 replaced under warranty and I brought it on 26000 miles)

Look out for your gearstick popping out of gear or crunchy gear changes, like it grinding into gear, especially first gear. The gearboxes are a bit clunky anyway on these so don't expect smooth, easy gear changes.

Listen for any loud whining when in a particular gear, or a particular speed. These boxes get loud when they are on their way out. A whine between 30-40mph is supposed to be normal though, providing it's not loud.

Slight whining when steering in lower gears is the LSD, this is normal and can be remedied by a gearbox oil change. Also, some slight clunking/rattling is normal when changing gear and engaging the clutch.

Check that the front brake pads and disks have some reasonable thickness left as they cost a fortune to change. Same as the tyres. Also check the seat handles for pulling the seats forward are intact as these break easily.

Check the condition of the paintwork as well as they are prone to chipping.

Overall they are very good cars, just got to find one which has been looked after. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by V*X*R View Post
    Go through the J threads on this forum as there are a few where people have reported some issues, so it's a good way to get some idea of what to look out for.

From my experience of buying a used one of these I would advise the following:

Make sure you get a proper warranty on it that covers the transmission and will cover you to take it to a local garage. Some of these get thrashed and the gearbox, flywheel and clutch can go bad quite quickly (mine has had all 3 replaced under warranty and I brought it on 26000 miles)

Look out for your gearstick popping out of gear or crunchy gear changes, like it grinding into gear, especially first gear. The gearboxes are a bit clunky anyway on these so don't expect smooth, easy gear changes.

Listen for any loud whining when in a particular gear, or a particular speed. These boxes get loud when they are on their way out. A whine between 30-40mph is supposed to be normal though, providing it's not loud.

Slight whining when steering in lower gears is the LSD, this is normal and can be remedied by a gearbox oil change. Also, some slight clunking/rattling is normal when changing gear and engaging the clutch.

Check that the front brake pads and disks have some reasonable thickness left as they cost a fortune to change. Same as the tyres. Also check the seat handles for pulling the seats forward are intact as these break easily.

Check the condition of the paintwork as well as they are prone to chipping.

Overall they are very good cars, just got to find one which has been looked after. Hope this helps.
    Ahhh nice one bud that great is that ill be looking out for all of this today...

On to the subject of tuning thenn,
    My plans are for the vxr are the usual simple nods inc.

Full intake and required hoses,
    Full exhaust from turbo back inc sport cat,
    Intercooler with all hoses,
    Map to suit,

Would i need to uprate the fuel pump and injectors also..

At this stage would i need to include a uprated clutch? Also what are the stock internals good for?

Cheers bud

Gear box changes between 1st and 2nd can be crunchy, make sure the gears select smoothly. Tyres and brakes are very expensive so check for wear.

If you get a good one they are very good cars. I had one for two years from new and loved it, I've just made the change to a Focus ST3 mk3.5, needed something more practical and with 4 doors the Focus fitted the bill.

Enjoy the test drive.
    *** Cavalier MK3 SRi 130 > Astra J SRi 2.0 CDTi 160 VX Line > GTC SRi 1.6T 180 VX Line > Astra GTC VXR 280 > Focus MK3 ST3 250 ***

Quote Originally Posted by srea064 View Post
    Gear box changes between 1st and 2nd can be crunchy, make sure the gears select smoothly. Tyres and brakes are very expensive so check for wear.

If you get a good one they are very good cars. I had one for two years from new and loved it, I've just made the change to a Focus ST3 mk3.5, needed something more practical and with 4 doors the Focus fitted the bill.

Enjoy the test drive.
    Test drove anlther today and purchased and i checked the car over fully, its had 1 previous owner and 5 stamps in service book all done at vauxhall and 31k on clock in total, lads at garage said the previous owner bought it from them new and always taken it to them every 5k miles for service.
    Good bakes and new pads, and new pirelli pzero's all round. I did take it out for a test drive car was stone cold and took it fir a long drive round the local town, couldnt really put my foot down loads but gace her a squirt. Gear selection between 1st and 2nd was ok not amazingly smooth i could feel the gears select if that males semce but car was literally cold not walmed up atall. Do you recomend i get the gear box serviced?? If so what can i have done to it is it just a normal service, replace oil and seals etc? Cheers bud.

Comes with 12 nonths network q warenty aswrll

It is very easy to change the gearbox oil and I would recommend it. I had my J VXR for two years from new and changed it every year myself on the drive.

There is a detailed 'How to' guide on here explaining exactly how to do it. Recommend oil is 2.3lts of the GM stuff.

Gearbox will be a lot smoother afterwards.

Enjoy your new car mate and welcome to VXR online.
    *** Cavalier MK3 SRi 130 > Astra J SRi 2.0 CDTi 160 VX Line > GTC SRi 1.6T 180 VX Line > Astra GTC VXR 280 > Focus MK3 ST3 250 ***

Quote Originally Posted by srea064 View Post
    It is very easy to change the gearbox oil and I would recommend it. I had my J VXR for two years from new and changed it every year myself on the drive.

There is a detailed 'How to' guide on here explaining exactly how to do it. Recommend oil is 2.3lts of the GM stuff.

Gearbox will be a lot smoother afterwards.

Enjoy your new car mate and welcome to VXR online.
    Cheers mate, i appriciate your help.
    Ive searched and found the how to looks simple. It'll be the first thing i do once its hear saturday. Just for peice of mind!
    And i shal do it every 6months to a year. Once again much appriciated mate, and thanks for the walm welcome.

Also ive spoke to the lads at cortney sport and they reccomend using the following oil.

2.3lt millers CRX LS 75w90 NT+ is this a superior oil to the gm stuff as i dont mind payong the extra if so. Its £57.50 on ebay for 3 ltr. Thanks again

Last edited by Jackfowlerpt; 11th October 2017 at 10:11 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast