+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    VXRed

Default Build the corsa or swap for an Astra

Needing some advice as I can’t really decide what to do

Had the corsa a little over a year now, currently running 220bhp with an airtec, double decat and 600cc injectors mapped by RND

I can’t decide if I should spend the best part of 2 grand to forge the engine and get the rest of my exhaust done to give me a ‘reliable’ 240bhp, or sell the corsa and go for an Astra, which already has 240bhp as standard, fairly easy to tune to around 300bhp and I won’t have to forge to keep reliability

Corsa is a 12 plate currently with 43k miles and I would probably value it around 6.5k, for that kind of money I’d probably only get an 07 ish Astra with double the mileage I’m at the now, although it’s a better built car.

Really unsure what I’m best doing so any advice is appreaciated

Personally I'd build the Corsa.

I drove an Astra recently, and while the power was nice on the straights I didn't find the handling on B roads as good. It might not matter as much where you are (if you're in a town or city), but where I live there are a fair few B roads so handling comes into play. I also prefer the looks of the Corsa. Astra front end is nice but the rear end is a bit plain for my liking.

Apparently a LSD in the Corsa makes a world of difference too, just waiting for one to come up near me!
    Corsa VXR - Stage 2 Rabbid Remapped
    TD Pro Race 1.2's | Airtec Intercooler | Brembo Drilled/Grooved Discs | K&N 57s Induction | NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
    Remus 3 Piece | EP Silencer Delete | Remus Cat Back | 5000K HIDs | Boost & Water Temp Gauge | Pressed Plates

VXRed

The handling and looks are the two things I’d say the corsa definitely has over the Astra, how much worse was the Astra on the B roads? I do enjoy a B road blast so I’d need the Astra to handle decent at least, even if it’s not quite as good as the corsa... I love the corsa but just think i’ll need to pile a lot of money in to it to get reliable power, and to go above stage 3 power is big money again

Quote Originally Posted by Rossbrown_1 View Post
    The handling and looks are the two things I’d say the corsa definitely has over the Astra, how much worse was the Astra on the B roads? I do enjoy a B road blast so I’d need the Astra to handle decent at least, even if it’s not quite as good as the corsa... I love the corsa but just think i’ll need to pile a lot of money in to it to get reliable power, and to go above stage 3 power is big money again
    Only drove it for about 15 mins on the B roads, so wasn't really used to the car itself so didn't want to overdo it, but I didn't find it gripping as well as my Corsa does, but coming out of corners it was slightly better (think they have an LSD as standard?)

If I had to pick between them for B roads, definitely would be the Corsa. I think the Corsa's power is more suited to B roads - you can put your foot down more without having to worry about over-doing it.

I reckon you'd probably be fine to get to Stage 3 for £2500-£3000 depending where you are. I've met a couple of people with stage 3 Corsa's and they've not had any major issues really. If you get it mapped properly and service it regularly they're generally pretty reliable!
    TD Pro Race 1.2's | Airtec Intercooler | Brembo Drilled/Grooved Discs | K&N 57s Induction | NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
    Remus 3 Piece | EP Silencer Delete | Remus Cat Back | 5000K HIDs | Boost & Water Temp Gauge | Pressed Plates

Definitely build the corsa!
    There is no way a 10 year old Astra is going to be more reliable than the corsa, even without going forged. If you look through the forum, there are many times more cries for help from Astra owners than corsa owners. Obviously, there are some very reliable astras out there with happy owners, but generally I think there is a reasonable gap in terms of reliability of the two models.
    I had an Astra years ago, it was so problematic that any car built at Ellesmere port or has 'astra' on the back, is a no go for me!
    The corsa has sharp looks and superior handling compared to the Astra, which I think is looking very dated indeed. It's personal choice of course.
    Why not just enjoy the corsa for what it is? Why does it have to have 300bhp? Unless you are using it for the track, it's a sure way to eventually kiss goodbye to your licence.
    SAVE THE VXR AND STOP BUYING SUV TOSH!

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by 20Drift View Post
    Only drove it for about 15 mins on the B roads, so wasn't really used to the car itself so didn't want to overdo it, but I didn't find it gripping as well as my Corsa does, but coming out of corners it was slightly better (think they have an LSD as standard?)

If I had to pick between them for B roads, definitely would be the Corsa. I think the Corsa's power is more suited to B roads - you can put your foot down more without having to worry about over-doing it.

I reckon you'd probably be fine to get to Stage 3 for £2500-£3000 depending where you are. I've met a couple of people with stage 3 Corsa's and they've not had any major issues really. If you get it mapped properly and service it regularly they're generally pretty reliable!
    Are you talking about an Astra H vxr or the new Astra J vxr? Would be an Astra H I would be looking at and I don’t think any of them have a diff standard, although it’s something I would look to add to either the corsa or the Astra

There is always the chance I could run the corsa at stage 3 Power without any issues, but i’d always be worrying incase it went at an inconvenient time when I didn’t have the money there to forge, so for piece of mind and reliability I’d want to forge the corsa if I was running that power

Quote Originally Posted by Rossbrown_1 View Post
    Are you talking about an Astra H vxr or the new Astra J vxr? Would be an Astra H I would be looking at and I don’t think any of them have a diff standard, although it’s something I would look to add to either the corsa or the Astra

There is always the chance I could run the corsa at stage 3 Power without any issues, but i’d always be worrying incase it went at an inconvenient time when I didn’t have the money there to forge, so for piece of mind and reliability I’d want to forge the corsa if I was running that power
    Sorry should've said - Astra H. I've not driven the J but heard very good things about them. If you wanted to go stage 3 with the Corsa I'd just save up and get it forged at the same time. Brucertheford on here has a stage 3 Corsa D but not sure if it's forged or not...

Even rebuilding a corsa engine would probably cost less than the overall repair costs for the Astra and considering the cost to change and get the new car to the same starting spec
    SAVE THE VXR AND STOP BUYING SUV TOSH!

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by vxrmjp View Post
    Definitely build the corsa!
    There is no way a 10 year old Astra is going to be more reliable than the corsa, even without going forged. If you look through the forum, there are many times more cries for help from Astra owners than corsa owners. Obviously, there are some very reliable astras out there with happy owners, but generally I think there is a reasonable gap in terms of reliability of the two models.
    I had an Astra years ago, it was so problematic that any car built at Ellesmere port or has 'astra' on the back, is a no go for me!
    The corsa has sharp looks and superior handling compared to the Astra, which I think is looking very dated indeed. It's personal choice of course.
    Why not just enjoy the corsa for what it is? Why does it have to have 300bhp? Unless you are using it for the track, it's a sure way to eventually kiss goodbye to your licence.
    When I speak of reliability I mainly mean the engine being able to take the power, general reliabilty issues wouldn’t worry me too much, but needing an engine rebuild certainly would. The handling is a big factor and I wouldn’t really know what I thought of it until I drive one, but from what I have read with a RARB fitted and decent suspension then they’re not too bad

As for the power, it’s not really a case of needing the power but more wanting it, I do enjoy booting it off a roundabout onto a dual carriageway from 30-100ish, which obviously becomes less fun as you get used to the power you’ve got - I do also use it for 1/4mile drag racing a few times a year

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by 20Drift View Post
    Sorry should've said - Astra H. I've not driven the J but heard very good things about them. If you wanted to go stage 3 with the Corsa I'd just save up and get it forged at the same time. Brucertheford on here has a stage 3 Corsa D but not sure if it's forged or not...
    All I’m missing to go stage 3 is the rest of my exhaust, currently got a double decat on but still got the standard centre and back box fitted which is holding me back - the plan would be to go 3inch with a sports cat probably custom, which should take me to stage 3 figures of 235-240 ish, although I would also want to be forged which is where the cost comes in - Astra already has 240bhp standard and won’t need forged unless going for big big power... not easy to find an Astra in a good condition at for similar money as I would get for my corsa though, a lot of them have been poorly looked after it seems

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast