+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by vxrmjp View Post
    Even rebuilding a corsa engine would probably cost less than the overall repair costs for the Astra and considering the cost to change and get the new car to the same starting spec
    Only common thing that costs a bit on the Astra that I know of is the turbo and the gearbox, corsa has the same gearbox issues so just the turbo really, and even they can be bought new genuine for less than £500 I’m sure, or rebuilt as a hybrid for similar money... all the other Astra niggles seem relatively cheap to do, unless I’ve missed some?

It's finding the right car at the right price though! There are so many people out there who believe their car is worth 3 grand more than it is! The same reason why it took me years to find the right vxr.
    Just think the Astra is too big and bulky to handle properly and several others have commented on the inferior handling compared to the corsa. Plus the Astra is so dated, inside and out.
    You could change the car and spend a small fortune dealing with issues that were not immediately apparent. With the Corsa, you obviously know the car, so less chance for nasty surprises.
    I just think you would get bored of the Astra after owning the corsa. Corsa's are much more fun to drive.
    SAVE THE VXR AND STOP BUYING SUV TOSH!

I was in the same position with my corsa rebuild and forge engine as high miles or replace, I decided to replace with astra and have no regrets , the corsa is more fun and mine was stage 3 230 bhp but the astra is a better car overall and may not be as much fun and grin factor but is much more planted on the road and a better feel , next week mine will be stage 3 I have done all the usual mods and now have a pretty good car that can mix with more modern stuff no problem.

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by vxrmjp View Post
    It's finding the right car at the right price though! There are so many people out there who believe their car is worth 3 grand more than it is! The same reason why it took me years to find the right vxr.
    Just think the Astra is too big and bulky to handle properly and several others have commented on the inferior handling compared to the corsa. Plus the Astra is so dated, inside and out.
    You could change the car and spend a small fortune dealing with issues that were not immediately apparent. With the Corsa, you obviously know the car, so less chance for nasty surprises.
    I just think you would get bored of the Astra after owning the corsa. Corsa's are much more fun to drive.
    Yeah I get what you’re saying, a lot of bad Astras out there, hard to find a good one, but if I can find one I think a good Astra would be better than the corsa... I think i’ll keep an eye on what’s coming up for sale and see if I can find one that seems right, if not i’ll probably end up spending the money on the corsa

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by nippyrascal View Post
    I was in the same position with my corsa rebuild and forge engine as high miles or replace, I decided to replace with astra and have no regrets , the corsa is more fun and mine was stage 3 230 bhp but the astra is a better car overall and may not be as much fun and grin factor but is much more planted on the road and a better feel , next week mine will be stage 3 I have done all the usual mods and now have a pretty good car that can mix with more modern stuff no problem.
    How do you find the astras handling compared to the corsa? How have you found the Astra reliability wise compared to the corsa?

As for reliability, my corsa is stage 3 running 233 on standard internals at 110k miles, almost 111k.

He did ask if I wanted to push for around 240/245, but I decided to play it safe!

As long as the corsa is well looked after, reliability shouldn't be an issue. My friend has a stage 3 astra, and that's also a lovely car though! feel a bit more solid inside, but as people have said doesn't have as much of a grin factor as the corsa.

I don't think you'll be too disappointed either way to be honest, both great cars to have - but as I say if the corsa is well looked after you shouldn't have problems
    | Star Silver Corsa VXR | Milltek Turbo Back W/ Cobra Decat | Ramair Cone W/ Fog Light Air Feed | JS Performance Coolant & Intake Hoses | Airtec FMIC | 395cc Injectors | Forge Recirc | Walbro 255 fuel pump | Forge Subframe Brace | Boot Brace | 50mm H&R Springs W/ Bilstein Shocks | Mtech Short Shifter | Uniroyal Rainsports | Triple R Splitter | OPC Fog Surrounds | Mesh Lower Grille | RS Tuning Mapped | 233 BHP / 251 lb ft |

people keep bangin on about the handling of astras....i can take corners 70/80/90 mph.....are you really gna be hitting b road corners at 100+ that you want the handling to be THAT much better??
    yes i agree its not the best but how much more better of a turn do you really want?

id go astra mate once u start putting the right mods on ull know y u went for a big dog rather than a puppy lmfao im joking corsa owners

both have common faults with gearboxes and other little things as long as it maintained properly u can thrash the **** out of it....ive owned astra vxr for nearly 3 years now and i have hammered it and still going strong...no wear of gearbox going dodgy (changed oil about 4 months ago).

mines stage 2 ready just not remapped.

VXR enough

I don't know why people are on about the Astra handling either.

I've had a H CDTI and my Corsa and if anything the H handled better on standard springs...you didn't feel as if you were going to fall out the window unlike the corsa did, and that was the Astra on 205/55/16s balloons vs 215/45/17s low profiles on the Corsa as well!

Both of my Astra and Corsa were also lowered on Bilstein B8s and TBH i don't think theres much in it.
    Corsa SRI Turbo and Facelift Corsa 1.4 SE

Quote Originally Posted by Rossbrown_1 View Post
    How do you find the astras handling compared to the corsa? How have you found the Astra reliability wise compared to the corsa?
    I have fitted dap springs and whiteline rarb might fit some wheel spacers later, the astra handles very good feels more secure and safe when pushed hard compared to the corsa, have had no major problems so far but worst case might get turbo or valve stem seals getting weak but easy fixed and g/box same as corsa is so far ok and I just replaced box oil with full synth , I am lucky as its on a 07 plate but only 29k I looked long and hard to find a good one, full leather cd70 etc.

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by Brucerutherford View Post
    As for reliability, my corsa is stage 3 running 233 on standard internals at 110k miles, almost 111k.

He did ask if I wanted to push for around 240/245, but I decided to play it safe!

As long as the corsa is well looked after, reliability shouldn't be an issue. My friend has a stage 3 astra, and that's also a lovely car though! feel a bit more solid inside, but as people have said doesn't have as much of a grin factor as the corsa.

I don't think you'll be too disappointed either way to be honest, both great cars to have - but as I say if the corsa is well looked after you shouldn't have problems
    I do look after the corsa, serviced regularly and always warmed up before booting it, I just wouldn’t be confident running stage 3 power without forging just incase it went at a bad time when I never had the money to forge it, if I was keeping it I would definitely want to forge it just for peace of mind. Just don’t know if I can bring myself to trade a 12 plate with 43k for an 07-08 ish with at least double the mileage, although it is supposed to be a better built car

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast