+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by chodiddly View Post
    people keep bangin on about the handling of astras....i can take corners 70/80/90 mph.....are you really gna be hitting b road corners at 100+ that you want the handling to be THAT much better??
    yes i agree its not the best but how much more better of a turn do you really want?

id go astra mate once u start putting the right mods on ull know y u went for a big dog rather than a puppy lmfao im joking corsa owners

both have common faults with gearboxes and other little things as long as it maintained properly u can thrash the **** out of it....ive owned astra vxr for nearly 3 years now and i have hammered it and still going strong...no wear of gearbox going dodgy (changed oil about 4 months ago).

mines stage 2 ready just not remapped.
    You got any suspension mods done or are you happy with the handling standard? Iím no formula 1 driver but I do enjoy a quick drive on the backroads and chucking it into corners

Also itís hard to find good clean astras, a lot of them have been poorly looked after unfortunately, same as most corsas

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by u33db View Post
    I don't know why people are on about the Astra handling either.

I've had a H CDTI and my Corsa and if anything the H handled better on standard springs...you didn't feel as if you were going to fall out the window unlike the corsa did, and that was the Astra on 205/55/16s balloons vs 215/45/17s low profiles on the Corsa as well!

Both of my Astra and Corsa were also lowered on Bilstein B8s and TBH i don't think theres much in it.
    Whichever one I go for iíll be doing some handling upgrades on anyway, majority of people Iíve spoke to who actually have an Astra are happy enough with how they handle, they just have a bit of a reputation - mostly from people who donít own them

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by nippyrascal View Post
    I have fitted dap springs and whiteline rarb might fit some wheel spacers later, the astra handles very good feels more secure and safe when pushed hard compared to the corsa, have had no major problems so far but worst case might get turbo or valve stem seals getting weak but easy fixed and g/box same as corsa is so far ok and I just replaced box oil with full synth , I am lucky as its on a 07 plate but only 29k I looked long and hard to find a good one, full leather cd70 etc.
    Sounds a good one youíve got there! Iíd be doing the roll bar and at least a set of springs, if not some bilsteins, so should be alright if I do decide to get one! Not too fussed about needing a turbo or stem seals or anything, cheap enough and easy enough to do anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Rossbrown_1 View Post
    I do look after the corsa, serviced regularly and always warmed up before booting it, I just wouldn’t be confident running stage 3 power without forging just incase it went at a bad time when I never had the money to forge it, if I was keeping it I would definitely want to forge it just for peace of mind. Just don’t know if I can bring myself to trade a 12 plate with 43k for an 07-08 ish with at least double the mileage, although it is supposed to be a better built car
    If I was you, I'd stick with the Corsa on the basis of 'better the devil you know' It's low mileage and you've looked after it. I think getting any 10 year old hot hatch now will more likely be screwed over and have loads of issues which you would have to fix.
    Stage 2 280bhp 330 torques, Remus exhaust, RARB and DAP springs

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by VXR dean View Post
    If I was you, I'd stick with the Corsa on the basis of 'better the devil you know' It's low mileage and you've looked after it. I think getting any 10 year old hot hatch now will more likely be screwed over and have loads of issues which you would have to fix.
    I agree with that entirely, just don’t know if I can justify spending another 2k to run 240bhp without worry of it dropping a cylinder, when I could just get an Astra instead... I also don’t know if I can justify swapping my corsa for an Astra of that age and mileage, proper difficult decision

I agree with that entirely, just don’t know if I can justify spending another 2k to run 240bhp without worry of it dropping a cylinder, when I could just get an Astra instead... I also don’t know if I can justify swapping my corsa for an Astra of that age and mileage, proper difficult decision
    Have you driven the Astra? If not drive a good one with power and handling mods and your mind will be made up, I'm almost sure

VXRed

Have you driven the Astra? If not drive a good one with power and handling mods and your mind will be made up, I'm almost sure
    Not properly drove one no, I kind of think that will be the case as well, but I’d need to take my time and wait till I find a good one - mileage isn’t a massive issue as long as it’s been well looked after

Not properly drove one no, I kind of think that will be the case as well, but I’d need to take my time and wait till I find a good one - mileage isn’t a massive issue as long as it’s been well looked after
    100% agree. Maintenance is the key with these cars

VXRed

100% agree. Maintenance is the key with these cars
    Unfortunately these kind of cars often attract the wrong type of buyer, someone who wants a quick car but doesn’t really bother to service it or allow it to warm up before driving it quickly... a lot of abused and poorly modded examples out there - of both the corsa and the Astra - and hiding in amongst them there’s a few good ones which have been owned by ‘enthusiasts’ and have been well looked after

Sound advice!
    Speed cameras and traffic wardens are a bad idea!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast