+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    VXRed

Mine is like that in first and a bit in second too, especially as the revs increase. It’s not quite as loud but not far off. I’ve just had a new gearbox which has now done 1000 miles and it’s done it from day one. I’ve even added about 0.4l of oil to it with no change in sound. The old box was the same but it was replaced for excessive whine in other gears lol. I still get the 30-40mph whine as well. As mine has had a new clutch, flywheel and gearbox I’ve just accepted it’s normal... as srea064 says, the car is let down by the gearbox

VXRed blooded

Was it th correct oil that was used? I know there is two different types, don't know the consequences of using the wrong one though, if your not happy deffo bring it back to the dealership and complain like mad! Tbh I think the secret of these cars are not to be gunning them in first! Just wait for second, I don't like racing off on first anyway so that suits me:-) prob why mine is pretty much perfect, sorry to hear of your woes OP :-(

VXRo Official Translator Darkrain82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cossers View Post
    Was it th correct oil that was used? I know there is two different types, don't know the consequences of using the wrong one though, if your not happy deffo bring it back to the dealership and complain like mad! Tbh I think the secret of these cars are not to be gunning them in first! Just wait for second, I don't like racing off on first anyway so that suits me:-) prob why mine is pretty much perfect, sorry to hear of your woes OP :-(
    I’d hope so, as it was carried out by the dealership which sold it to me! It’s with them now, going back and forth between vauxhall and Bristol Street motors probably arguing over who if anyone is going to pay to get it sorted. Bottom line is I wouldn’t expect this from a 20 day old car bought from Network Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VXRed

so so annoying was about to take the plunge only being 22 and getting it on finance but if the gearbox goes id be goosed,might have to re think what car I want even though its the car ive wanted since it coming out....

VXRo Official Translator Darkrain82's Avatar

Sorted, gearbox replaced under warranty.

Glad its been sorted, an understanding dealer makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by srea064 View Post
    I absolutely love the J VXR and longed for one, had a GTC 1.6T and after running that for a year, took the plunge in 2015 and bought a brand new Carbon Black J VXR.

These cars look fantastic and are great up until about a year of ownership, when you start to have gearbox noise! The gearbox, IMO is the weakest link on these cars which is a real shame. You have the looks, you have the power, you have the chassis and perfect suspension set up! Try to pull away quickly though at a set of traffic lights and first to second is a nightmare and crunchy. This car only likes slow gear changes and despite Vauxhall stating the gearbox oil doesn't need regular changes, we all know it does!

This is now the main reason mine was sold in September this year with only 15,200 miles on the clock. Loved it but the gearbox is bloody awful.
    Agree with all of the above, I loved my J, had it for 5 years and I desperately want another but I can't take the chance with the poor gearbox. If only vx would fit a zf8 gearbox then it would be a perfect car.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2