+ Reply to Thread
    VXRed

Default MTECH Short shifter

So guys I am currently on the fence with buying one of these things, I have seen nothing but good reviews everywhere. MY gearbox was changed from M32 to F40 I believe so I now need a K2 short shifter priced at £135 also stating it has less throw reduction then the original K shifter.

Another thing thats causing me to sit on the fence is the amount of effort required for the installation of the K2 as K seemed incredibly easy.

As I am from Southampton, our good friends at Regal are only up the road from me so I got in touch with them to find out how much it would cost for them to do it and they quoted me £80.

Can someone justify to me if this is still worth going ahead with?

EDIT: I've accidentally popped this into the wrong section if someone could pop it into the correct one that would be fab
    Last edited by Bailxy; 6th November 2017 at 10:51 PM.

VXRed

Why do you "need" a short shifter?

That will not affect anything other than the perception of feel of the gearchange.

The gearboxes are problematic, box used on many other Vauxhalls as well as Alfa Romeo's. Quite strong but prone to second gear issues and whining. Some have issues (Mine was replaced @ 11k) others do 50k with no problems.

From someone who went from H to J I would say the big things are:

* Fuel consumption
    * Physical size
    * Parts costs (Brakes/Tuning/Tech)

But the drive/handling is light years ahead of the H as is the build quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailxy View Post
    So guys I am currently on the fence with buying one of these things, I have seen nothing but good reviews everywhere. MY gearbox was changed from M32 to F40 I believe so I now need a K2 short shifter priced at £135 also stating it has less throw reduction then the original K shifter.

Another thing thats causing me to sit on the fence is the amount of effort required for the installation of the K2 as K seemed incredibly easy.

As I am from Southampton, our good friends at Regal are only up the road from me so I got in touch with them to find out how much it would cost for them to do it and they quoted me £80.

Can someone justify to me if this is still worth going ahead with?

EDIT: I've accidentally popped this into the wrong section if someone could pop it into the correct one that would be fab
    Hey mate. Firstly you need to know for sure what shifter you need for the transmission. If you could get a photo and post it online here we should be able to distinguish which one you need. There is a break point with these F40 transmissions 05-2016 and younger use the K2. However this may not apply as you mention the transmission was changed from a M32 to F40. Any reason why this change was made? You also didn't mention what car this is in.

These short shifters make a huge difference to the way these clunky transmissions shift. So i would highly recommend them.
    2016 Holden Astra J VXR - Arden Blue

Qualified Automotive Technician and aspiring Automotive YouTuber.
    CHECK OUT MY CHANNEL -> Diligent Garage

VXRed

Got an Astra J VXR, the shifter has the big metal cap on it and not the nut, Warren said i needed a K2

Quote Originally Posted by Bailxy View Post
    Got an Astra J VXR, the shifter has the big metal cap on it and not the nut, Warren said i needed a K2
    Okay I see. Well it is a lot more involved and if you’re not confident in fitting yourself would be best to get someone to fit it. It honestly improves the gear changes on these boxes night and day, combine that with a quality gear oil and it’s even better again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Holden Astra J VXR - Arden Blue

Qualified Automotive Technician and aspiring Automotive YouTuber.
    CHECK OUT MY CHANNEL -> Diligent Garage

+ Reply to Thread