+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default what could've fallen loose?

just got back from getting the astra mapped, and about halfway through my journey home i heard a sort of dragging, scrapping noise, but it went, then as i got close to home it came back and stayed all the way until i turned into my road when it stopped.

it's a sort of plastic/metal dragging sound, and it was only when the car was moving, when i stopped at traffic lights etc.. it stopped.

so something's gotten rattled loose either by the rolling road or just by coincidence, but i've looked under the car, where i was expecting to see something obvious considering how loud the noise was but everything looks fine, is there anything that's common to come lose? or do i just need to find a way to get the car up in the air and go through every thing giving it a pull and shake

If you just had a map and no parts fitted I'd guess it may just be coincidence. The only thing I can think of are the brake disc guards. They're made of very flimsy metal and are known to bend and contact the back of the brake disc. They can easily be bent back by hand though.

Probably a good place to start. I remember what I had this, he scraping drove me insane and I hadn't a clue if anything bad had happened lol. So relieved when I found out how simple it was.
    W20 ADM's led Lighting shop, see link below for details
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-lighting-shop

yeah i didn't mean to imply it was caused by the mapping as far as any wrong doing, just that maybe it being given the beans on the RR shock something loose that might not have happened today otherwise, but would have happened eventually.

The thing that's confused me is it was fine when i left for roughly 40mins, then it made the noise for 5 mins, stopped then made it for the last 10mins of the journey. Just gone out to get some dinner and no noise at all.

It was the sort of noise you'd expect if you were dragging something, sounded like some sort of thin ish plastic or metal scraping and bouncing off the road

Regional Assistant - Scotland West f1slikki's Avatar

Exhaust heat shield come loose,mine did and caused a tinny/metal rattle with the wind running through the underside
    Arden Astra H VXR/Stage 2/6k Afl's/19"Gloss Black Alloys/Powerfold Mirrors/Sight & Light Pack/Parking Sensors/Keyless Entry,Start/Full Remus&Oil Restrictor Bolt By Jigger/Blue,Red SMD By Stampede/Drilled & Grooved Discs/Tints/Green Cotton Filter/Carbon Iinlays/VXR Grill Badge/Private 3D Gel Carbon Plate/Team Hekos/Stubby Bmw Ariel/Debadged//Indicator Surrounds/C,C Bootstrip/Led Side & Plate Lights/VXRO Stickers/

That is exactly the type of sound I had mate, and it was on and off.

Seriously, check the brake disc guards behind and just give them a gentle bend back. See if it stops altogether.

i'll have a look at the brakes tomorrow if the weather isn't too *****, heat shield also sounds likely to me, just so odd to me that the noise would start and stop on it's own with no visable signs of anything

As could the disc shield mate. It drove me mad cause it made no sense

Ok, well I'll check both, knowing my luck it'll be neither and will only ever happen when driving and I'll never be able to make anything rattle or move when it's in the air

Does your Air-con work, after a year of ownership mine didn't , removed front Bumper to find lower part of Air Condenser had fell off , common fault apparently.

blimey, as far as i know it does, although haven't tried it since the noise. I'd be pretty shocked if it was that though as i kept looking behind me while driving with the noise to see if i left anything behind that would've caused the noise or be a result of the noise but never spotted anything and noise only started today

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast