+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VXR newbie

Default Going to see a Clubsport next week

Hi all

I'm taking a day off next week to test drive a few cars as after 8 amazing years, I've decided to change up my Clio 197. My car is a weekend toy so it needs to be fun.

I'm going to drive a Fiesta ST-3, a Fiesta ST-3 Mountune and a Corsa VXR Clubsport with full leather and nav

Having done many a VXR trackday including the Performance school, I know how good the Nurburgring was when I drove it. My head says get the Fiesta but my heart says VXR. Why? I like the rarity of it, I think it is a better looking car (more aggressive), I want the diff, and at 49 years old, I don't care what other people think

The Clubsport reg is VE14 0HV. Does anyone know about the car or have owned it on here?

Thanks for reading.

Default Going to see a Clubsport next week

Got a link to the Clubsport for sale ?

ST’s are good cars, i came from a ST-2 to my current Nurburgring and haven’t looked back once, well apart from the ageing Interior. But it’s not to bad. Also you’ll need to spend to get it up to the level the Clubsport is at, the Brembo’s, B12’s and LSD etc... Was your 197 a Cup ?
    Fiesta Mk5 ZS>Fiesta Mk6 ST>Clio 172>Astra 'H' VXR>Fiesta Mk7 ST>Corsa 'D' VXR Nurburgring

VXR newbie

https://www.parkwaymotorgroup.com/us...mshire-1385547

My 197 was full-fat. Renault spent millions on one of the finest long travel suspensions. As I wasn't going to track the car, the cup chassis made no sense. Saying that I know the VXR will be firm in comparison.

Quick question, where is the temperature gauge?

Good spec on that one. T&C and Heated Leather, just in time for Winter. Nice. These don’t have have Temperature gauge, but there is a secret menu you can access that shows it and quite a few other things.

Honestly considering the Suspension these don’t ride that bad tbh, I’am pretty certain a Cup packed 197/200 Clio are harder!
    Fiesta Mk5 ZS>Fiesta Mk6 ST>Clio 172>Astra 'H' VXR>Fiesta Mk7 ST>Corsa 'D' VXR Nurburgring

Quote Originally Posted by Marv-C View Post
    https://www.parkwaymotorgroup.com/us...mshire-1385547

My 197 was full-fat. Renault spent millions on one of the finest long travel suspensions. As I wasn't going to track the car, the cup chassis made no sense. Saying that I know the VXR will be firm in comparison.

Quick question, where is the temperature gauge?
    Now m8, there is a sequence you go through whilst resetting yr mileage .. I test driven the ST fiesta & a few burgs but the burgs I test driven where a little tatty” but drove great.. can’t knock the ST it was fun but eventually found a clubsport and love it.. mine only comes out at weekends and makes me smile every time I drive her.. she’s on a 64 same colour & spec , Nav,Nappa leather..ect... looks clean the one yr going to test drive, obviously do yr homework, ask them if gearbox oil has been changed on last or a previous service 👍.. let’s know how you get on 😁Dec ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VXR enough

Might just be me but if i had the money I'd probably go for the Fiesta TBH.

The Clubsport may be a better spec but its still basically a 10 year old design and things have moved on.

People go on about mechanical issues with the Corsa but for me the real ballache is stuff like the bodywork - e.g. paint quality isn't great...I have 07 and 11 plate Corsas and both have issues with the rear arches starting to rust and both are extremely susceptible to stone chips. Both low mileage. This is the stuff (bodywork) you can't really fix yourself unlike mechanical issue, but the Corsa has its share of those too. Ironically the earlier cars seem better in terms of build quality comparing the 3 in my family.

Good car but i think they come into their own in the sub 7k price range where you will not find a hot hatch to match them.

Beyond that there are better options.

If you do go see that 14 plate i'd go over the bodywork with a magnifying glass, even a paint depth gauge.
    Corsa SRI Turbo and Facelift Corsa 1.4 SE

VXR newbie

Thanks for all the advice.

I appreciate the Corsa is an old design however the Fiesta is also an 8 year old car and has just been replaced by an all new model. The ST and Clubsport are the pinnacles of the outgoing model. The equivalent ST will also be about £1.5k more than the Clubsport and as a weekend car I have a budget I would like to stick to. Fuel and tyres etc won't be a concern. Both models are also going to have Wednesday and Friday cars!!!

When I bought my Clio, the same questions could be asked as there were some horror stories on the forums of cars that spent more time in the garage than out. Eventually I took a punt based on the owner of the car and that it had had any warranty issues sorted.

My only concern with the VXR is that it has had 3 owners. I always wonder why and maybe the previous owners enjoyed the car for a year and then couldn't afford it. Who knows.

I will definitely check the bodywork well. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Here is a pic of my 197

Last edited by Marv-C; 10th November 2017 at 11:55 AM.

VXR enough

The main things would be to check the gearstick for signs of movement, and gearbox for whining (careful not to get confused with the diff), both of which are signs of a looming big bill. If you are mechanically minded also stop somewhere on the test drive and run a qucik compression test - if its low it will be a sign of piston damage and another big bill.

Other than that and checking for arch rust you should be ok.

At that age if its had a few owners then most likely it will be down to running costs rather than anything sinister...VX quote about 45 extra urban and 37 combined but really 30/32 is the norm.

VXR newbie

Thanks for the advice

How do you run a compression test? I have a great mechanic but he's not coming with me.

Also why doesn't my picture show? I've shared it from onedrive. Is that supported here?

VXR enough

Don't know about the picture.

For the test you need to buy a compression gauge for 20 quid then insert into into each spark hole and in turn and crank over noting the figures.

All cylinders should ideally be upwards of 170 psi...if one cylinder is down a lot then its got problems so walk way.

Test would take you about 10 mins in but you'd need the guage, spark plug spanner and torx bit to remove the coilpack...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast