Closed Thread
    VXRed

Default Installing a rear view mirror camera

Hi I live in Brisbane Australia and have a J spec 2013 OPC Astra. I was looking at fitting a non obtrusive camera. My first through was one that sits over the Mirror. But of course the existing Astra camera blocks an forward view from that position. So i'm wondering can this existing camera which is disabled here in Australia be used as a dash cam ? Is it any good for this purpose and can the video be recorded. Or can it be replaced by a dedicated camera ? Has any one tried this. It would be outside my technical expertise so i would need to find an auto electrician to fit it should it be possible

a good auto electrician should be able to use the factory front camera, all they need to do is rewire it and install a suitable control box to record the video feed. If you already have a front camera they might have to split the video feed.

I am just about to retrofit the OEM rear parking camera to my J vxr and the next job after that will be to install a factory front camera and suitable control box.

VXRed

Thanks for the reply. Opel cars are almost unknown here so finding an autoelectrition with any experience on them will be impossible to find. Please let me know how you go with your modification. Are electrical wiring manuals available for this model that would assist with wiring in a camera ?

Closed Thread