+ Reply to Thread
    VXRed

Question Engine temperature ... ?

Hi... noticed the last few days when morning temps are down below 5c that even after a 15mile drive the engine temp doesn't get above about 75c and the oil in turn is 50odd.
    Ok...im driving gentle but do these cars have any known thermostat issues as to me it's behaving as if the stat is stuck open.
    I know the car sat in the dealers about 6 months before I got it so could that have caused a problem ?
    It's under warranty but I've no time to get the car to them.

As I remember, mine was hot within 5-10 minutes no matter what the outside temperature was, so could sound like a thermostat issue. Does it ever come up to full temperature, i.e. On a very long drive?
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

VXRed

Not lately with the cold weather creeping in.... was fine during the summer but I'd expect that with reduced air cooling over the rad core.
    It's screwing up the fueling as well ... dropped 5mpg on my work run.

That is not at all unlikely with a failing thermostat - it is going to suck a lot of heat out of the engine and therefore increase fuel consumption. Have you tried to start the engine from cold with the expansion tank lid off? I would expect it only circulates the cooling water in the tank if the thermostat is locked open when the engine is cold.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

VXRed

Are these traditional stats in a weird housing or a smart stat controlled by the ecu?
    So far I'm finding the engine heats a little better if keeping the cabin heater at 25 or lower which allows the engine to get to just under the mid point of the gauge.
    She's due a service in a few weeks so at least it's a warranty job in my case.... doesn't look like a 5min job to change out.

+ Reply to Thread