+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Insignia VXR

Default Insignia VXR

I am thinking of selling my Vectra VXR and buying an Insignia VXR, it will likely be something around a 2012 model, what sort of things should I be looking for before buying it, at what sort of mileage should the chains be changed, any help would be appreciated

Chains are a concern I would check if they have been done
    Also the haldex check for juddering on low speed manovers
    If vx have done work on the car you could badger them for the works history
    NOW STAGE 3 BUILT BUY ME POWERED BY SUPERCHIPS.
    INSIGNIA TURBO,INSIGNIA INJECTORS,QUAFE DIF,PADAL CLUTCH,COURTNEY RAD AND INTERCOOLER,3 INCH SYSTEM,BILSTEN B12'S,AP RACING BRAKES,POWERFLEX BUSHES

Cheers Nick, at what sort of mileage should the chains be changed.

The clutch is also fairly weak and is about 1500£ to replace. Check for strange clutch action or hard gear changes, especially in the lower gears.

Keep an eye out for the brakes. If they are worn, ask for a discount. If you can replace them yourself, you can get parts for around 900£, but if you go to VX, they will probably charge you 1500£ for a replacement.

There have also been some reports of weird electronic gremlins. Mine had a dodgy reverse parking sensor, it only worked occasionally and my seat heater would cut out after about 10 minutes, I could turn it back on instantly, but it was a bit annoying.

They are great cars though, so don’t be too scared about the issues, they are well worth it
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

Quote Originally Posted by Dalle1985 View Post
    The clutch is also fairly weak and is about 1500£ to replace. Check for strange clutch action or hard gear changes, especially in the lower gears.

Keep an eye out for the brakes. If they are worn, ask for a discount. If you can replace them yourself, you can get parts for around 900£, but if you go to VX, they will probably charge you 1500£ for a replacement.

There have also been some reports of weird electronic gremlins. Mine had a dodgy reverse parking sensor, it only worked occasionally and my seat heater would cut out after about 10 minutes, I could turn it back on instantly, but it was a bit annoying.

They are great cars though, so don’t be too scared about the issues, they are well worth it
    What year is your Insignia, is there a year they have fixed all the problems

Sounds like my Vectra VXR is a much better car, I was hoping that being a newer model the Insignia would have been a better car, but with the problems you have highlighted along with the Haldex issues it seems like it should be given a wide berth, think I may look at an Audi A5 TFSI

Late 2012s were fitted with the harder chains
    And modified haldex irrc
    INSIGNIA TURBO,INSIGNIA INJECTORS,QUAFE DIF,PADAL CLUTCH,COURTNEY RAD AND INTERCOOLER,3 INCH SYSTEM,BILSTEN B12'S,AP RACING BRAKES,POWERFLEX BUSHES

Quote Originally Posted by nick150 View Post
    Late 2012s were fitted with the harder chains
    And modified haldex irrc
    Thanks Nick, that's really what I wanted to know as I was sure there was a point when VX sorted out any teething problems, basically I need to be looking at an Insignia 2013 or newer and then I shouldn't have too many problems.

That would be an easy way mate
    Or go threw finding if works have been done on older ones

Quote Originally Posted by Steveh24 View Post
    What year is your Insignia, is there a year they have fixed all the problems

Sounds like my Vectra VXR is a much better car, I was hoping that being a newer model the Insignia would have been a better car, but with the problems you have highlighted along with the Haldex issues it seems like it should be given a wide berth, think I may look at an Audi A5 TFSI
    I would just want to point out, having owned both, that the Vectra is, on no parameters, a better car. The Insignia is lightyears ahead of the Vectra. The Vectras suffered from the same chain issues and clutches were to weak in those as well.

The Haldex is an issue, but if your budget can stretch to a facelift car, those should be all sorted, same for chains. Then you are left witht the clutch, but that is how it is with cars like this. I have a friend who have cooked two clutches in his 335i... it’s all about how you drive the car.

So before you write it off, go and have a testdrive in an Insignia VXR. It really is a great car - I chose it over an S4 3.0 actually. Do make sure you check the electrical bits though - but I might just have been unlucky with the electronics - all seemed to stem from the same CANBUS panel in the rear of the car.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

VXRed

I've a 2015 car and the test drive of the stock car is amusing... Feels relaxed and fairly comfy with a decent top end grunt when needed.
    Remapped it and OMG... Real animal hiding in the ecu.... Not just faster but more brutal and that's when you appreciate the Haldex and 4wd along with the brakes.
    My only gripe is the suspension.... Never feels settled at well into 3 figures... Reacts to every flaw on the tarmac and is sensitive to the tyres used... Mine hates Pirelli Pzero but so far is getting on nicely with Goodyear eagles.
    I've owned a vast array of brands and models in 30 odd years of liking quick cars and I just love how the insignia can be a family car one minute and a rocketship the next.
    I had a high mileage Saab Turbo X 4yrs ago ( which could be an alternative for you) and it's basically a 4wd vectra underneath. Some aspects of the insignia are there but it never drove anywhere close to the insignia in terms of raw enjoyment and chuckability....was a great car but the likes of a tuned Focus St could hang on to it.
    It's no traffic light racer and don't try to think it is... It's more of a 4/5 door GT so wait til 30mph and let her rip.
    Yes the insignia has potentially costly issues... Buy a transmission focused warranty and enjoy the car.

+ Reply to Thread