+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rattle

VXR newbie

Default Rattle

I have a very tinny rattling sound that sounds absolutely horrific, that seems to be coming from my back drivers side wheel, only makes the noise when I'm moving, I can't find anything out of place that could be rubbing etc, anyone have any clue as to what this could be? I have a long drive back home tomorrow and could do with the car actually making it there lol, it's going into the garage on Saturday anyway but would be nice to get some feedback before I travel 200 miles, any help is massively appreciated!

Regional Assistant - Scotland West f1slikki's Avatar

Check exhaust heat shield as could be that mine made tinny/rattle sound when it was loose
    Arden Astra H VXR/Stage 2/6k Afl's/19"Gloss Black Alloys/Powerfold Mirrors/Sight & Light Pack/Parking Sensors/Keyless Entry,Start/Full Remus&Oil Restrictor Bolt By Jigger/Blue,Red SMD By Stampede/Drilled & Grooved Discs/Tints/Green Cotton Filter/Carbon Iinlays/VXR Grill Badge/Private 3D Gel Carbon Plate/Team Hekos/Stubby Bmw Ariel/Debadged//Indicator Surrounds/C,C Bootstrip/Led Side & Plate Lights/VXRO Stickers/

VXRed

Without knowing what you have checked it’s kinda hard to diagnose..

Without sounding like a knob have you checked things like rear seats sitting properly, spare wheel and bits in the spare wheel well all in properly..

Sounds stupid but could also be the tailgate..
    06 Astra VXR - Arden Blue - Stage 2
    Mapped by Courtenay Sport - 292bhp - 337lb ft
    Courtenay Sport Ko4 Turbo, Scorpion Exhaust with 200 Cell Cat,
    AEM Filter, Luk Clutch & Luk DMF & Cover
    18” Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2, Eibach Springs

VXR newbie

Well I've looked under the car for anything that is loose and could possible cause a rattle, the heat shield underneath spare wheel well came off a while back as the bolts had rusted and think it's somewhere along the m25 lol, but it definitely sounds like it's outside the car, I've checked the seats and boot everything seems fine there! It was almost making like a crunching noise at times, as if something was stuck on the brake pad/disc and the faster I went the louder and worse the sound got

VXRed

Wheel arch lining?
    06 Astra VXR - Arden Blue - Stage 2
    Mapped by Courtenay Sport - 292bhp - 337lb ft
    Courtenay Sport Ko4 Turbo, Scorpion Exhaust with 200 Cell Cat,
    AEM Filter, Luk Clutch & Luk DMF & Cover
    18” Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2, Eibach Springs

VXRed

I had a similar knock/rattle when I got mine. I would have put money on the exhaust or heat shield. Turned out to be tailgate stop rubbers not preloading the tailgate and allowing it to slightly chatter on tailgate lock. Wind your ones out a quarter of a turn at a time and see if it disappears.

+ Reply to Thread