+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VXRed

Default Opel Eye removal

Hi ,
    I own a 2013 Opel OPC astra here in Brisbane Australia and have been looking at adding a dash cam. The Opel Eye that sits behind my rear vision mirror does not appear to have ever been activated for the Australia models. I was looking at replacing it with a dedicated dash cam. But have some questions.
    How hard it is to remove the cover and the camera ?
    Will this removal of the camera affect any self diagnostic checks if it is missing?
    Can i keep the rear view mirror without the camera ?
    Is there a hard wire point above he existing camera a dash cam can be wired to ?
    Are there any manuals online that can show me this area in details and any wiring schematics ?
    I'd also would like to hear from anyone who may already have done this.
    I want to stick the new dash cam , something like a blackvue 750 in the same spot so it is hidden and looks factory fitted.

Any and all replies appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by ErickTreetops View Post
    Hi ,
    I own a 2013 Opel OPC astra here in Brisbane Australia and have been looking at adding a dash cam. The Opel Eye that sits behind my rear vision mirror does not appear to have ever been activated for the Australia models. I was looking at replacing it with a dedicated dash cam. But have some questions.
    Will this removal of the camera affect any self diagnostic checks if it is missing?
    Is there a hard wire point above he existing camera a dash cam can be wired to ?
    Are there any manuals online that can show me this area in details and any wiring schematics ?
    I want to stick the new dash cam , something like a blackvue 750 in the same spot so it is hidden and looks factory fitted.

You need it for AFL High beam assist..

Hi ,

Hi Erick,

Good to see another Brisbane OPC owner. I'm also from Brisbane. Also a Qualified Automotive Technician at Holden.
    Likely that your Opel variant will have AFL with HID's. It uses the camera as a sensor for the High Beam Assist. There is also another sensor for automatic wipers behind the plastic cover. Personally i wouldn't recommend removing it as you may end up with error messages in you DIC/IPC display.

As for hard wiring, i'd personally recommend running the wiring above the roof lining, down the passenger A pillar trim and into the fusebox, then use a fuse piggy back adapter. Simple to fit and remove if you sell the car or want to remove the camera.
    2016 Holden Astra J VXR - Arden Blue

Qualified Automotive Technician and aspiring Automotive YouTuber.
    CHECK OUT MY CHANNEL -> Diligent Garage

VXRed

Thanks for your reply. I have the 2013 Opel Astra OPC and never noticed any high beam assist. The lights do come on when it gets dark. What are AFL and HID?
    I wanted to place the dash cam behind the mirror but that is where the opel eye sits . Installing on the dash or windscreen obstructs my view and I want the dash cam fitting to look very professional and not as an aftermarket stick on.

d

Thanks for your reply. I have the 2013 Opel Astra OPC and never noticed any high beam assist. The lights do come on when it gets dark. What are AFL and HID?
    I wanted to place the dash cam behind the mirror but that is where the opel eye sits . Installing on the dash or windscreen obstructs my view and I want the dash cam fitting to look very professional and not as an aftermarket stick on.

VXRed

Do you have headlight washers (a cut-out directly below the headlight cluster on each side) and do your headlights move up and down when you turn them on? If yes then you have AFL (Adaptive Forward Lighting) which consists of a single Xenon (Xenon Arc) bulb on each side that doubles up as your dipped and main beam, which is referred to as Bi-Xenon headlights. AFL is the name Vauxhall have given it but AFL goes above and beyond with things like automatic high beam and automatic light ranging, all of which rely on the camera.

A lot of places sell Halogen bulbs as 'Xenon' bulbs but these are just Halogen bulbs (filament bulbs). Xenon Arc and HID are essentially the same thing and are the real deal. The AFL J is fitted with D1S bulbs. Not that knowing this helps answer your question lol

VXRed

Ah yes. I remember when I ordered the car they wanted to know if I wanted this option. I think it was $3000 extra and I couldn't justify it, as I mostly drive day time in the CBD and we don't get a lot of fog or snow in Brisbane.

I suspect it was just a software install and the hardware is fitted to all the cars. So as a cost benefit it wasn't really wroth it

VXRed

So I suspect like the road sign recognition functionality this also is not enabled in my car.
    But I suspect the rain sensor is there and since I haven't seen this area without a cover I can't say if there is enough room in there for a dash cam even if the existing Camera could be removed and the rain sensor left in.
    I wasn't going to try installing the dash cam myself but give it to an auto electrician to do. I've seen the youtube video from http://autofidelity.com.au/ who do great work fitting dash cams to European cars but are in Victoria, some 3000km away.

VXRed

Is there an online maintenance manual somewhere so I can get an idea of what this area looks like ?

Ah yes. I remember when I ordered the car they wanted to know if I wanted this option. I think it was $3000 extra and I couldn't justify it, as I mostly drive day time in the CBD and we don't get a lot of fog or snow in Brisbane.

I suspect it was just a software install and the hardware is fitted to all the cars. So as a cost benefit it wasn't really wroth it
    No.. do you have AFL or not ? if don't have AFL there is a lot hardware you don't have on your car..if you have AFL you car has high beam assist so you should not have to remove the cam.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast