+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quick update

Default Quick update

So after by RTC I had the company assess and collect the card for a detailed inspection. Initial assessment was that likely a complete write off. He said that they’ve written off cars with a lot less damage. He then said that age and the cost of a full repair is probably not an option and said that likely I would be looking at £1800 payout from the insurance company. A buy back price of £800. 😡

Needless to say I’m now without a car and trying to milk the hire car I have (ford kuga &#129326

If I get it back I reckon about £800 ish for 2 doors, NS sill, airbag curtain, roof lining. Manage to add to the list my damaged alloy on the OS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '55' Sapphire Black VXR Estate. Eibach Prosport all round, remapped by Rabbid. DO88 intake kit.

Here’s hoping 🤞

How much you got to play with spike, with some spares might be tempted !!

I'm never sure what planet the Insurance companies live on, but are they saying that you should be able to go and buy another VXR of a similar age and condition for £1800, I would have told them to keep the money and go and find one for you, then they would realise that it's worth more than £1800, the cost of the spares alone is worth more than that

Quote Originally Posted by Steveh24 View Post
    I'm never sure what planet the Insurance companies live on, but are they saying that you should be able to go and buy another VXR of a similar age and condition for £1800, I would have told them to keep the money and go and find one for you, then they would realise that it's worth more than £1800, the cost of the spares alone is worth more than that
    No news yet. They have sent the quote to the insurance company. Like you said if they do offer that I will tell them to source one. Likely a police special lol

'55' Sapphire Black VXR Estate. Eibach Prosport all round, remapped by Rabbid. DO88 intake kit.

VXRed

I used to work in the insurance industry, though not in motor insurance.

I still recall one of my first training courses when it was explained that the purpose of the insurance is to indemnify the policyholder, that is to put them in the position they were in before the loss.

That said, insurance companies will always attempt to minimise their loss. I have not seen any trade price guides for a while but suspect that you will have to expect the insurer to attempt initially to settle at the "book" trade value. Of course we know that in the real world it will not be possible to replace the car for that figure.

I have not had the misfortune to be in your position, but if I were I would be scouring the ads and printing off examples of similar cars to your own to demonstrate how much it will realistically cost to buy a replacement, in preparation for the insurer trying to get off the hook for a small amount.

As you suggest, requesting they source a replacement may be an alternative, though personally I'd rather have the cash and buy the car of my choice.

They may surprise you - it is only the assessor that has mentioned £1800 and he won't have any say in the matter; he was there only to assess the cost of repairs. He may not even have known what a Vectra VXR is!

Good luck.

VXRed

Mate wtf this is weird i havent been on in a while as i have written my vxr off as well someone did an emergency stop infront of me in the sleet and i just skid into the back was only doing 20 at the time as it was rush hour the car just seemed to skid for ages needless to say im devasted car was a write off and insurance only payed bottom book price £1400! It ranges from £1400 to £2700 but after my excess and retention of my private plate i was left with pennys less than a grand apparently 1400 is a reasonable amount to find another vectra vxr wtf i was gutted i bought the car back for 500 and sold it on to an enthusiastic bloke who is going to fix her up i ended up shelling out for a 530d 2 weeks before xmas gutted to hear about yours too spike cant believe how much they are valued at now

sorry to here that spike. I work in the car repair business I would take no notice of the chap that looked at it as it has nothing to do with him his just there to tell them what it needs .are you going through your insurance or doing a 3rd party ??the problem is the insurance will look at bottom book cars but will not take into account 1400 pound cars will be pieces of crap. best bet is go direct to their insurance and tell them you wont a like for like replacement and you still don't have to take the one they find for you .its a lot fing around and they will really take their time to put you off doing it .its a shame that you would get more money for the bad back???

Thanks guys. Not heard anything yet but expect to in a day or so. I hope I can just get it back and have enough to cover the repairs.

I have gone through 3rd party insurer as they contacted me after I had spoke to my insurance company. They said they would take control of it all. I got a replacement hire car but that’ll be short luved. £1200 is a bit low end considering as you say the bangers you would get for that.

my mates going through it with his work van they do have it locked down now .but he is going with the injury clame ect ect as they offerd him 400 .if you need any help if you buy car back ive been repairing cars for over 20 years and I'm only down the road just to help with cost on the paint side good luck with it all

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast