+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Quick update

Quote Originally Posted by RichVaux View Post
    I presume you have the estate that is shown in your profile? There is also a black 99k-mile 55-plate VXR Estate for £3850 on Autotrader. You may need to resort to using prices of available hatch models to secure a better settlement; that also demonstrates the reality of how difficult it could be for you to replace the car with a similar model.

Your insurance docs are likely to say that a total loss would be settled at "market value" which of course is what you are arguing about, though your docs are a bit academic at the moment because you aren't currently dealing with your own insurers anyway.

Agreed value policies are available but usually restricted to older "classic" cars; I have three older cars on a classic policy myself.

I suspect the value that most drivers have given their insurers exceeds what they would be offered as "market value", especially if they have been with the same insurer for a number of years and gave the value at the time they bought their car.
    There’s the problem. Like for like pre accident is likely to be book price, currently at £1750

I’ve given them all the info but they are not budging.

I am the one that will be well out of pocket which pi55es me off. Looks like I’ll have to accept the offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '55' Sapphire Black VXR Estate. Eibach Prosport all round, remapped by Rabbid. DO88 intake kit.

VXRed

gutted for you spike mine was insured at 3500 and still only got the book price minus a couple of hundred quid for previous owners

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by V6spike View Post
    There’s the problem. Like for like pre accident is likely to be book price, currently at £1750

I’ve given them all the info but they are not budging.

I am the one that will be well out of pocket which pi55es me off. Looks like I’ll have to accept the offer.

Are you dealing with a Claims Manager with authority to increase the offer, and who might understand something about cars, or an office junior with a script?

I once had a claim against a third party and after a sensible conversation with their insurer's Claims Manager secured a satisfactory settlement way in excess of their initial offer.

Have you looked at progressing through their complaints procedure, contacting the ombudsman, etc?

I suppose it depends how much of an appetite you have for a fight, but it would be interesting to see how the current offer can be justified as one that will put you in the position you were in before their client hit your car.

£1750 is not like-for-like, because you cannot buy what you had for that money and you can demonstrate that. You were not looking at selling to a dealer for "book" money, you were minding your own business when their client wrecked your car, and necessitated you having to buy another.

One wonders what your own insurers might have done, assuming you have comprehensive cover, as the approach taken by different companies seems to vary widely.

VXRed

car insurance is legalised theft

How did you get on with this bud
    VXR IS FOR LIFE NOT JUST FOR THRILLS!!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvectra View Post
    How did you get on with this bud
    Hi mate. How’s tricks? Got a decent payout which meant I was able to get another. Now have a sapphire black 55 plate estate with some goodies, but it is in need of some TLC which I’m doing slowly but surely. How’s your new car?

'55' Sapphire Black VXR Estate. Eibach Prosport all round, remapped by Rabbid. DO88 intake kit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3