+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quick update

Thanks mate. Where about are you? If I get the car back it’ll come back to my home address so I can do most of the repairs there.

So far £50 for x2 doors on silver. The airbags won’t take long to get here. I’ll order once I know. Just the repair to the sill and re paint
    '55' Black Vectra VXR Estate. soon to have the goodies from the old beast....

*update and advice needed please*

Just had a call from the insurance company. Car is cat B write off. Repair bill is £5500.
    The company have offered £1750 which when I researched via Parker’s and Autotrader comes out about right.

Apparently there is structural damage to the ‘B’ pillar however, they will down grade to a cat ‘s’ and I can buy it back for -19% if cost (£332.50).

Now I’ve asked them to let me think it over so I get a call back Tuesday.

So, options. Bend over and be shafted by the insurance company and be out of pocket.
    Buy it back and repair it?
    Will I get insurance for a cat s? (Just looking into this)

The nearest reasonable comparable price and car is a ‘special’. I told them that that type of car isn’t the same. I’ve done research at some for sale (not estate) and garage prices range from £3800 to £5000+

Advice all welcome. I have a couple of days.

Default Quick update

Are they quoting trade prices as you wonít replace with that. Myself Iíd tell them where to go and tell them replacement value is £5500.

Looked at my insurance as itís due for renewal and noted market value in my list, have to give them a ring.

Just rang my insurance up told them what would I get if mine was written off, been told £5000 market value.

Go back and tell them market value is £5000+.
    Have a good look your insurance and see what it says about the value and argue your point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jon1796; 30th December 2017 at 03:54 PM.

You are not obliged to accept your insurance companies offer and I would certainly argue that if they will only give you £1750 then ask them to find you a comparable car for that amount coz you've looked and it's not possible.

This is just the insurance company trying to pay out as little as possible, so don't make it easy for them, tell them they are only offering trade value and you are not in the trade and need the market value for it as paid by any other member of the public ..... like you.
    Last edited by Steveh24; 30th December 2017 at 04:16 PM.

VXRed

I don't understand what they are saying about the write-off category; it is either a B or it isn't.

Cat B means break only. Cat S means Repairable Structural. Surely it is one or the other and the extent and/or seriousness of the damage doesn't alter depending on whether you want to buy it back or not.

Either way, I'd be arguing about the value and presenting the insurers with advertisements for similar vehicles to support your view, as per my previous post.

As I said, the purpose of insurance is to put you back to the position you were in before the loss, which their offer will not do.

Incidentally, where is the car? You previously stated that it had been collected for assessment, but have you got it back? I'd be keeping hold of it and not letting any one have keys or documents until negotiations are resolved.

that's exactly what I was going to say .I'm in market Harborough mate .if the B post has gone in then it will need to go on the jig

Iíll check my documents. There were no like for like only a SRI police spec one at £1750.

Donít worry I will be arguing with them. Been told to say that Iíll get my insurance involved as well which usually gets things moving.

Quote Originally Posted by V6spike View Post
    Iíll check my documents. There were no like for like only a SRI police spec one at £1750.

Donít worry I will be arguing with them. Been told to say that Iíll get my insurance involved as well which usually gets things moving.

Just checked mine and mine is covered at market value though Iím sure I did this at 6k

VXRed

I think we should just visit your insurers and bum them until they give you enough money to fully replace it.

And that's the bottom line
    Vectra VXR estate 07

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by V6spike View Post

I presume you have the estate that is shown in your profile? There is also a black 99k-mile 55-plate VXR Estate for £3850 on Autotrader. You may need to resort to using prices of available hatch models to secure a better settlement; that also demonstrates the reality of how difficult it could be for you to replace the car with a similar model.

Your insurance docs are likely to say that a total loss would be settled at "market value" which of course is what you are arguing about, though your docs are a bit academic at the moment because you aren't currently dealing with your own insurers anyway.

Agreed value policies are available but usually restricted to older "classic" cars; I have three older cars on a classic policy myself.

I suspect the value that most drivers have given their insurers exceeds what they would be offered as "market value", especially if they have been with the same insurer for a number of years and gave the value at the time they bought their car.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast