+ Reply to Thread
    VXR newbie

Default Recon gearbox fitted now hard to get in 1st gear

Hello there
    Iím new to this site and have just got my self a Corsa VXR it has got 90,000 on it Iím guessing thatís a lot for that car?
    Itís been well looked after but after having it for 2 days the gearbox went on me I was lucky that I had warranty with the car.
    Itís been fixed and has had a recon gearbox put in but now itís had to put in 1st gear in the mornings is this normal as it needs wearing in?
    The guy that fixed it seems to think itís cos itís all tight now.
    If you could let me know your thoughts be very appreciated.
    Thanks

How long have you been driving it since it was done? Linkages may need a bit of spray oil.
    I normally find the gears slightly stiffer after a gear oil change for the first 100 miles or so. Colder mornings also cause a tiny bit more difficulty, but it shouldn't really be all that noticeable.

Try pumping the clutch pedal about 5 times before putting it into first and report back if that makes a difference.

OPC …IRE- Drop me a PM for Irish meets, group adds etc.

VXR newbie

That’s what the guy said at the garage to pump the clutch it dose help but could be driving for 10 miles then hard to get in 1st again sometimes I need to put it in 2nd to get it in 1st?
    And definitely hard in colder weather in the morning.
    Iv probably been driving the car about 60miles since the gearbox has been put in.
    Is it easy to spray the linkage with oil.
    Many thanks

Might be worth bleeding the clutch fluid a small bit more, just to check if it makes a difference.
    I'm not so familiar with the OPC/VXR Corsa layout, but should be under the battery.

Here's how it looks on the Astra;

Change gear stick position and spray with silicone oil/graphite spray or the likes each time. Avoid thick grease spray.
    No harm to do under the gear shift gaiter in the cabin either.

VXR newbie

So you don’t think it’s normal then it’s only cos the garage thinks it’s normal as it’s been reconditioned and all tight now or are they fobbing me off.
    I’ll just demand to send the car back if it’s not normal as I don’t think it is but Iv never had one of these cars before.
    Thanks

If it's not any looser in the next 50 miles, it needs attention.

Welcome aboard VxrO mate
    Woody's Vx Ice Addons
    UK/Eire Distributor of the Comfort Unit and Video Accessories from www.PepaS.cz designed to enhance your Headunit & Display - Adds Additional Data and Reversing Camera & Media.

CD70 Aux In Retrofits and CID 3 Line Firmware Updates.

A reconditioned box should feel like new, if rebuilt properly. Would you expect to have these problems with a new car? Probably not, so I would advise taking it back. The warranty should mean that it's not your problem to fix, it's a problem for the warranty company, after all, that's the only reason why anyone buys a warranty.

VXR newbie

Thatís actually what I thought if you bought a brand new car you wouldnít have problems with the gears cos itís new.
    Iíll see how it is for next 50 miles then If still not any better Iíll send it back to get checked.
    Thanks for replyís guys 👍

might not be enough oil in there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyp90 View Post
    I am pretty awesome.
    BOOM
    the Moaning Mod

Clique No: 7

+ Reply to Thread