+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VXRed

Wink Cheap Exhaust Upgrade - Advice Needed

I have a 2010 Corsa VXR which is completely stock mechanically. I am quite disappointed with the quietness of the engine/exhaust. You have to really give it some and get past 4,000 rpm to really hear a decent noise, and even then it's not amazing.

I don't have much money to spend at all (no more than £100) and want to improve this. I have read about various exhaust modifications such as removing the centre silencer or taking out the precat, which can both be done for under £100.

I don't want my car to start sounding like thunder and being overly loud so people hear it and turn round and think 'oh it's a boy racer whose fitted a massive exhaust on a small car', but a bit of grunt and growl would be nice.

I've heard good and bad things about both of these options...

I've read that removing the middle silencer and fitting a normal pipe instead is great, can be done for £40 or so, and even when the rest of the exhaust is stock it still gives a bit more grunt to the sound and some pops as well. However I've also read a post from a person who apparently removed the middle silencer from their stock exhaust and it made no difference at all to the sound.

I've read that removing the precat and installing a decat clear pipe is great, gives a louder sound to the engine and it's fine for MOTs. However I have also heard people say your car won't pass and MOT without ALL the original cats installed, and I've read people say that removing the precat affects the backpressue for the turbo which reduces the turbo's life.

What is the best and safest way for me to spend £100 to get my stock exhaust a little bit louder?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

I have a pre-cat delete and the silencer removed, made no difference.

That could possibly be because the burg backbox is apparently very restrictive in comparison to the clubsport (remus) one.

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Cloak View Post
    I have a pre-cat delete and the silencer removed, made no difference.

That could possibly be because the burg backbox is apparently very restrictive in comparison to the clubsport (remus) one.
    Mine is just a normal VXR, would that make a difference?

So is mine, i just fitted the burg backbox lol

Im not 100% sure how restrictive/ non restrictive the standard triangle one is.

Best advice is to save up some cash amd get a remus 2 piece, from what ive read its not too loud but has a nice rasp

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Cloak View Post
    So is mine, i just fitted the burg backbox lol

Im not 100% sure how restrictive/ non restrictive the standard triangle one is.

Best advice is to save up some cash amd get a remus 2 piece, from what ive read its not too loud but has a nice rasp
    I don't really want to spend more than £100. It's not that I don't have the cash, it's just that I really couldn't justify spending a few hundred pounds on an exhaust just to make a car sound nicer

I get what your saying.

I thought the same and fitted the parts i did for less tham 200 but it didnt work out in the end so basically just wasted money.

VXRed

Fair enough - thanks for your replies, very helpful

VXR Nothing comes close vr55vxr's Avatar

Save up more and do it right the first time

insurance increase will probably take away most of this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

VXRacing ahead

On my first Corsa I just replaced the backbox with a straight pipe, still had both cats and silencer. Made it louder but not over the top. Cost me about £60 IIRC.

VXR enough

The thing is peoples definition of "louder" or "nice" varies greatly;

(Usually skewed badly if the poster is younger!)

Fitting a precat decat or chopping out the centre pipe silencer will make it "louder" but only slightly - unless you had 2 VXRs standing next to each other you'd never realise.

Chopping out the backbox will make it noticable louder but i really wouldn't bother - it will look wrong to anyone buying the car next, not sound as nice as a proper backbox and also do nothing for power.

I would recommend you don't bother and find other means to add noise (cone filter?) or else view it as a chance to add power so you can justify spending the money on a proper system.

The exhaust doesn't need to be new btw - there are plenty of good used performance systems on ebay all the time for less than half the new price.
    Corsa SRI Turbo and Facelift Corsa 1.4 SE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast