+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tyres

Default Tyres

Hi all. Looking for tyre recommendations. I’ve previously used pilot sport 3 on my old Astra H, need two new front tyres on the J, looking for recommendations.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Arden Blue, Stage 3, Thorney Motorsport tuned, 304BHP

Michelin pilot super sport or Pilot sport 4 not cheap but are the best.

VXR enough

Don't forget to put the new tyres on the back, not the front.

VXR Nothing comes close vr55vxr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robertshephard View Post
    +1, no many people know this

Really the tyre place should do this, but do not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VXRed blooded

Quote Originally Posted by robertshephard View Post
    Surely that depends on how worn your tyres on the rear are.... Putting heavily worn tyres on the front isn't going to help and will just cause understeer in the wet.
    Modern cars with stability control etc aren't so susceptible to the rear moving around.

Whilst I don't have the Astra... My Sig VXR is enjoying Goodyear Eagle As3 especially in damp and wet.

Thanks..gone for these...and they’re going on the front.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vr...trac-Vorti.htm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Arden Blue, Stage 3, Thorney Motorsport tuned, 304BHP

VXRed

You can’t put new 1s on back if you have pressure sensors as readings will be wrong ! Unless you have tyres removed from rears and put on from wheels then new tyres put on rear wheels !

Quote Originally Posted by genman View Post
    Surely that depends on how worn your tyres on the rear are.... Putting heavily worn tyres on the front isn't going to help and will just cause understeer in the wet.
    Modern cars with stability control etc aren't so susceptible to the rear moving around.

Whilst I don't have the Astra... My Sig VXR is enjoying Goodyear Eagle As3 especially in damp and wet.
    Best tyres go on the rear - google if you don't believe, try a wet roundabout with slicks on the rear and fresh tyres on the front and you'll get snap oversteer even when you're not gunning it

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy1876 View Post
    You can’t put new 1s on back if you have pressure sensors as readings will be wrong ! Unless you have tyres removed from rears and put on from wheels then new tyres put on rear wheels !
    Why would they be wrong - just reset them and off you go

Astra

VXRacing ahead

Quote Originally Posted by genman View Post

Why i agree with the theory of best on the rears, my rears have done 25 k 4.5 mm (og frm factory MPSS) , current fronts 5mm after 1 year and the 3rd set. MPSS last about 8K on the front . If i had done the switch , maybe i would not need 4 new tyres in about 3 months a nice new years present. However the current wear rate on the back would lead me to beleive that 32k+ would be the limit . There is no way i would put 4 year old tyres on the front, and there is the argument about leaving 4 years old tyres on the back? + not everyone on here has time to go to the tyres stealers and dictate rotation, let alone if they put them on properly on the right axles. EG VX 1st time took them 2 hours to figure out the tpms i had to tell them to drive the car. i supplied the tyres. 2nd tyres change , could get the tyres off , 2 hours later and a hire car later sent to national ,wheels came back in a right state.3rd one much the same. had to go round and make sure that the tyres said outside the last time just in case lol. F me i aint no mechanic but surely it is not difficult to change tyres these days when a machine does it for you. It aint hard to change a wheel either without damaging it, saw my old man do it when i was ten , next week changed one at the side of the road for my old dear. You can't educated pork.

Things can only get better!

You cannot just swap wheel position without resetting the TPMS system with the correct tool or a visit to the dealers.

The astra j TPMS system works from a single control module located in the boot, not a receiver at each corner of the car.

I had to buy the reset tool because of incorrect advice from a tyre place, they said drive it and it will reset, not true. What happens is the tyre pressure from the front wheels is displayed as the rear pressures and vice versa
    Last edited by vocky; 31st December 2017 at 09:00 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast