+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Looking at getting a insignia

Hiya all,
    Looking at possibly getting a insignia vxr in the near future, just waiting for the right one to turn up!

Reading up on them people say try and get one after 2011 as you donít get the haldex problem with them? I just donít think I can stretch my budget to one that new. How much am I looking at if the haldex goes wrong? Or how much for an upgraded one roughly?
    Is Anything else I need to look out for?
    Also why do some have the normal hand break and some just the small buttons?
    And do they all have the day running lights?
    Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by RyFletch View Post
    Hiya all,
    Reading up on them people say try and get one after 2011 as you don’t get the haldex problem with them?
    No, there was a timing chain update as of MY2011, so the timing chain is less of a problem after 2011, haldex had an update in 2013/2014 into the latest gen 5, its still got problems tho (being a 1.8 ton car and all).
    ^^Australian^^
    Car 1: 2016 Insignia VXR (Mods: none installed)
    Car 2: 2003 Mk7 Accord 2.4 (Mods: plenty)

VXRed blooded

Whatever year your able to afford check its history during g its warranty period.
    General reliability as far as I'm concerned is as good as anyone's... Haldex issues relate to the haldex and not just that it's in a vauxhall and regardless of what Vx say it needs oil changes.
    Once remapped its a far better car but if you drive it like a boy racer and don't maintain it you'll likely end up with a lottery sized bill.
    Clutch is weak and won't thank you doing traffic light races but overall its a big roomy practical fun car with lots of grin factor.

Quote Originally Posted by fredoops View Post
    No, there was a timing chain update as of MY2011, so the timing chain is less of a problem after 2011, haldex had an update in 2013/2014 into the latest gen 5, its still got problems tho (being a 1.8 ton car and all).
    There are far fewer failures on gen. V haldex - and those seem to be mostly related to servicing issues or fabrication issues rather than the failing clutch packs.

Quote Originally Posted by genman View Post
    Haldex issues relate to the haldex and not just that it's in a vauxhall and regardless of what Vx say it needs oil changes.
    Are you sure about that? VAG cars don’t seem to have anything like the woes of the VX’ers. I have a mate with a 400 hp Golf R which has done around 50k miles tuned with absolutely no AWD issues. And he is not sparing ‘ it!

Saab used the same unit and did not have any problems, so to be honest, I think Opel just got cheap and reused the unit from the 260 hp without upgrading the clutch pack - and not only is the OPC/VXR more powerful, but pushing the VXR button changes the torque bias to the rear adding even further stress to the unit. So it was undersized fromthe start. There are some rumors on german sites that some early cars were fitted with units from the Saab 9-5 turbo X with a heavier clutch packs, which is apparently why some early cars could handle big power without issues.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

VXRed blooded

Do an online search for Haldex issues / faults and you'll see every manufacturer has there issues... VOLVO.. VAG.. GM and some BMW.
    Plenty of each brand are affected and Saab had loads of issues... I used to own 2 saab 93 xwd cars and both had the Haldex rebuilt under warranty as a service precaution.

Do an online search for Haldex issues / faults and you'll see every manufacturer has there issues... VOLVO.. VAG.. GM and some BMW.
    Plenty of each brand are affected and Saab had loads of issues... I used to own 2 saab 93 xwd cars and both had the Haldex rebuilt under warranty as a service precaution.
    BMW don’t use Haldex?! Their setup is completely different. Haldex is only designed for FWD cars.

Anyway, I’ve worked on lots of VAGs and have never come across anyone with a clutch pack/catastrophic failures seen in the VXRs. The failures I have seen are pump failures, which were an acknowledged fault by VAG, so it was replaced pro bono by VW or Audi.

Can only find some threads on Saab on precautionary replacements on late 0x models, which were all replaced under waranty. Nothing on Volvo (beyond the pump failures).

VXRed blooded

OK the BMW system isn't called Haldex but it's a clone design internally.
    Saab issues related more to the 93 Turbo X model and the diffs did fail.
    This is mostly off topic anyway.
    Find the right car and get a warranty and enjoy

Thanks for your advice all, much appreciated, il update when if/when I decide to take the plunge!
    Thanks again.

OK the BMW system isn't called Haldex but it's a clone design internally.
    Not at all, the only resemblance is that both utilize a wet clutch pack - which is true for almost any variable AWD system, even some longitudinal Audi-systems. But lets just close it as you are right, this is mostly off topic.

Default Looking at getting a insignia

https://www.gumtree.com/p/vauxhall/v...60k/1280774061

This is the one I originally looked at, spoke to the chap about it etc.
    He said his friend is a mechanic at Vauxhallís and has had the haldex system checked with no issues.

I know itís in Belfast but itís one of cheapest out there and just ticks every box for me really. Also priced it up and would cost me £163 to get there and bring the car back over.
    Itís just the risk of going there and finding out something just isnít quite right?
    What are people thoughts on this one?

Only thing is how come some have the normal gear stick like this one and some just the button.
    I prefer the button look but thatís not the end of the world!

Thanks!!

Last edited by RyFletch; 2nd January 2018 at 12:05 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast