+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Steveh24 View Post
    Could really do with testing the wastegate with a boost gauge as I would be interested to see how much pressure there is when I accelerate, I'm defo going to have a turbo boost gauge fitted to the dash and I've ordered one this morning.

The fact that the car still hunts when idling and feels lumpy at low revs when driving makes me feel there is also an air leak somewhere.

My mechanic is a good lad, but I can't help feeling that I need to give it to someone who knows the Vectra VXR inside out and how to set them up.

Any suggestions !!
    Smoke test and actuator pressure test mate. This would be my first approach. There are so many places a leak could form but the smoke test will seal them out.

Where abouts are you mate? I don’t mind having a look if you’re East Midlands area. I’m not a mechanic but certainly a fresh set of eyes always helps.

Oh and it is quite normal for it to hunt revs when on tick over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '55' Sapphire Black VXR Estate. Eibach Prosport all round, remapped by Rabbid.

Yep spike agree with smoke and as coils been replaced good chance pipes cracked or miss fitted ,as turbo is not same one a few mm ether way would put it out. We had a low boost with the manifold pipe blown ? Also a thought inlet pressure release valve if that what you call it black lump on turbo inlet ,

https://www.dhresource.com/albu_3756...9389-01700.jpg

And the control valve for ‘actor’ one way valve system failure all would reduce boost in some way.

But sorry have to disagree on the hunting, even on cold start injection shouldn’t hunt old carbs maybe, that would say definitely air leak/mixture wrong / chains.

And if your close enough sir nick150 the god of these lumps....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1796 View Post
    Yep spike agree with smoke and as coils been replaced good chance pipes cracked or miss fitted ,as turbo is not same one a few mm ether way would put it out. We had a low boost with the manifold pipe blown ? Also a thought inlet pressure release valve if that what you call it black lump on turbo inlet ,

https://www.dhresource.com/albu_3756...9389-01700.jpg

And the control valve for ‘actor’ one way valve system failure all would reduce boost in some way.

But sorry have to disagree on the hunting, even on cold start injection shouldn’t hunt old carbs maybe, that would say definitely air leak/mixture wrong / chains.

And if your close enough sir nick150 the god of these lumps....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The black bit is the resirc valve mate I think. Already asked the question to my lumpy idle.

Had mine smoke tested and zero. Been told that most do this. Also had tech 2 on the car and again zero codes.

Default Actuator Arm Adjustment

Never know injection to hunt, unless a fault , but agree even with oc t2 plugged in no faults the computers on these they are rather basic. But doesn’t mean there isn’t a fault.
    So if resirc/blow off valve could be faulty lowering boost ?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=z2...ZSorTd54dC2kM:

Yes I know they put a mod on but shows could loose boost if faulty...

Question as never had smoke test where did they feed it in, as I’m thinking air filter to turbo or turbo to manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1796 View Post
    Never know injection to hunt, unless a fault , but agree even with oc t2 plugged in no faults the computers on these they are rather basic. But doesn’t mean there isn’t a fault.
    So if resirc/blow off valve could be faulty lowering boost ?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=z2...ZSorTd54dC2kM:

Yes I know they put a mod on but shows could loose boost if faulty...

Question as never had smoke test where did they feed it in, as I’m thinking air filter to turbo or turbo to manifold.

They fed mine in via the MAP sensor on mine because I had the Do88 kit on it. Usually via the intake pipe by the throttle body but mine was secure so he couldn’t. Was about 5 mins on test and nothing.

I agree a fault could be there but most on the Facebook vec VXR page have noted a ‘hunt’ at idle.

Thanks Jon, excellent parts diagrams with Part Nos.

The more I drive the car the more I'm thinking it is an air leak.

It hunts when idling and at low revs, it hesitates when pulling away and if I accelerate hard at around 3000 - 3500 rpm you can feel it hesitating and there isn't a lot of boost, there is also nowhere near as much torque as there used to be as the turbo is reluctant to kick in, so still a sick little VXR, but my mechanic is going to arrange a smoke test to check for air leaks.

Don't you just hate cars when they aren't performing properly, before the turbo had to be replaced it was performing as well as it ever has, plenty of boost, no hesitating or hunting and lots of torque when accelerating in top gear.
    Last edited by Steveh24; 5th January 2018 at 10:07 AM.

Are you VXR enough?

Check the valve on the front of the turbo, it's the black part with two pipes connected and the electrical connector under it. Disconnect the pipes and connector and unclip it if you can, then check for cracks at the base of the pipe connectors. Mine cracked on the pipe that comes out horizontally for no reason (guessing heat and age) which then leaked air and I couldn't get more than 3psi boost.

I think it has been mentioned already to check the pipework to it but physically check the part itself. One of the ex members on here had one in his spares box which had completely snapped off randomly.

I may have a spare kicking around if yours turns out to be the same but would have to try and find it.

If you do find cracked/broken pipes just replace them with 4mm silicone hose and carry spare just in case.

Are you VXR enough?

It wasn't pipes on mine, it was the base of the plastic connector itself which fractured. You can tell by blowing through the connectors and visually

Quote Originally Posted by mikez1 View Post
    It wasn't pipes on mine, it was the base of the plastic connector itself which fractured. You can tell by blowing through the connectors and visually
    Those pipes are weaker than a warm kitkat mate. Such a poor design. Especially the ones at the back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast