+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Is this normal? Handbrake cable question

This kia picanto handbrake is being a scumbag. Pads and everything around the rear brakes themselves are fine, can feel the mild friction as you physically rotate the rear wheels with the handbrake released. So I guessed the problem must be just tightening the cable, which I proceeded to do. Got it to as per the manuals instructions, to feel tight after 6-8 clicks. But the thing still struggles to hold unless I break my wrist pulling it so tight.

One thing I noticed was the cables by the adjuster was lopsided as in the attached pic, is this normal and acceptable? Or would this point to a cable issue which may need replacing?

Calling all brake guru's for advice lol

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    W20 ADM's led Lighting shop, see link below for details
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-lighting-shop

I’d say as long as it’s putting equal pressure on either side it wouldn’t matter it being lob sided but I would of expected them to be running parallel with each other as it would make it easier to put the equal pressure on
    07 Arden blue VXR(H). 3” scorpion turbo back, pipercross cone filter, front mounted intercooler. Running stage 2 map dyno tested at 290bhp 340 lb torque.
    Black rear diffuser, black boot trim, black tinted windows. Piano black console and steering wheel trims. Carbon fibre dash trims.

It just makes me think maybe one side is pulling tight and the other is not because of the lopsided half. Which may explain why it's not holding. Could be wrong though.

Yeh but would it not depend on wether one cable stretches more than the other that would then mean one would need tightened more than the other
    07 Arden blue VXR(H). 3” scorpion turbo back, pipercross cone filter, front mounted intercooler. Running stage 2 map dyno tested at 290bhp 340 lb torque.
    Black rear diffuser, black boot trim, black tinted windows. Piano black console and steering wheel trims. Carbon fibre dash trims.

I mean there's only the 1 tightening bolt. Maybe one side has stretched because it's lopsided and that's why there's a loose side. Maybe replacing the cables is only option. And bugger doing that in these temperatures.

Yeh couldn’t be bothered with that it’s dropping rapidly tonight, I just think it wouldn’t sit lob sided if they were both worn the same. Why you driving a picanto anyway I mean I know you drive like a grandad but that’s taking it to far

Quote Originally Posted by Damo24LFC View Post
    Yeh couldn’t be bothered with that it’s dropping rapidly tonight, I just think it wouldn’t sit lob sided if they were both worn the same. Why you driving a picanto anyway I mean I know you drive like a grandad but that’s taking it to far
    It's a family members mate

I’ll let you off then haha. Also I checked vac box again this morning with my hand and all pipes seem to be on.

Also my front disks are looking pretty horrendous they’ll need changed very soon what disks and pads are best for these cars as the stopping power at the minute isn’t the best for the power it has might just be because the disks aren’t in good state tho

Every "upgrade" I have ever experienced in these cars pad and disc wise has always made the braking feel worse. Grooved discs, dimpled etc blah blah may look the part but they always made my braking feel worse.

Unless you want to go for big brakes or a brembo caliper conversion I'd just stick with oe pads and especially discs. Of course, many people will tell you differently, but that's my 2 cents.

Aye I’ll just stick to standards then no point forking out for upgrading for it then to be just the same or possibly worse. I don’t fancy paying nearly a grand for full upgrade yet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast