+ Reply to Thread
    VXR newbie

Question later in the year...

Hi guys, kinda new to the site, good too see that a helpful forum is still alive and not taken over by facebook, I'm really considering getting a Vectra later in the year (after holidays and birthdays and the missus getting her new car), but I would like some advice please if anyone could help I have a few questions:-

1 - do these cars need to be warmed up and cooled down before every drive - yeah i know not to thrash any car from cold but..my MkII Fabia VRS i had needed to be warmed/cooled.

2 - Can the orange back light (of the dash, control panel etc), be changed and would these be SMD leds - anyone recommend anyone to do this?

3 - With a diagnostics tool can you turn things on that aren't on from factory (e.g. Coming home lights, alarm beep etc) and is there the "secret menu" like on the Corsa D's?

4 - Where would people recommend getting a remap done (Only Stage 1)

5 - what make of exhausts do people recommend for a little bit of noise however I'm wanting to keep the original tips (does that depend on the garage fitting)

6 - I've seen a few of the vectras with these (in my opinion) horrible 'eyelids/brows' what's the safest way to remove these without damaging the lens

7 - I'm not wanting the yellow headlights - what do people recommend (probably know the answer to this already) but would like a bright white look,

8 - on the subject of lights can the fog light bulbs be changed to match (bright white) if so how and what bulbs?

Quote Originally Posted by Naths VXR View Post
    Hi guys, kinda new to the site, good too see that a helpful forum is still alive and not taken over by facebook, I'm really considering getting a Vectra later in the year (after holidays and birthdays and the missus getting her new car), but I would like some advice please if anyone could help I have a few questions:-

1 - do these cars need to be warmed up and cooled down before every drive - yeah i know not to thrash any car from cold but..my MkII Fabia VRS i had needed to be warmed/cooled.

2 - Can the orange back light (of the dash, control panel etc), be changed and would these be SMD leds - anyone recommend anyone to do this?

3 - With a diagnostics tool can you turn things on that aren't on from factory (e.g. Coming home lights, alarm beep etc) and is there the "secret menu" like on the Corsa D's?

4 - Where would people recommend getting a remap done (Only Stage 1)

5 - what make of exhausts do people recommend for a little bit of noise however I'm wanting to keep the original tips (does that depend on the garage fitting)

6 - I've seen a few of the vectras with these (in my opinion) horrible 'eyelids/brows' what's the safest way to remove these without damaging the lens

7 - I'm not wanting the yellow headlights - what do people recommend (probably know the answer to this already) but would like a bright white look,

8 - on the subject of lights can the fog light bulbs be changed to match (bright white) if so how and what bulbs?
    Hi mate and welcome to the site. I’ll give a couple of answers but there’ll be more along with their sway on things.

1. Warm up yes. When you start up the car will have high revs this is normal. It will drop down to normal after a few minutes. Don’t go booting it though until you have run the engine warm. Cool down the last few miles and keep out of the boost zone about 2.3k revs or so. I genuinely leave the car running for about a minute then switch off.

2. Yes. SMD conversation is possible and loads have done it and there’s loads of folk out there that can do it.

3. Depends. ***** or tech 2 can do this. If things are fitted then 99.9% if the time they’ll be active. If you retrofit AFLs you will have to activate them via a tech 2

4. There are many reputable tuners out there for these, Courtenay, WG motor works, Rabbid and Teapot to bane just a few.

5. Standard exhaust is Remus so pretty decent. Most opt for a pre cat delete it full decat. Also on the hatch you can get back box deletes for that extra pops and bangs gayness.

6. Not sure. Not everyone has these and I suppose it depends how they’ve been applied.

7. Standard xenon lights are fine. LED bulbs will flash and throw up a warning. There are ways around this and there’s a lot more info over on the vec c furum. I personally use Mtec (I think that’s correct) side light bulbs which are nice and bright.

8. Fog light bulbs can be upgraded. Not sure to what though. Use the search function which should throw up some threads.

Also. Ronal alloys are made of chocolate and don’t like our roads. Expect at some point to be repairing cracks. Springs are notorious for breaking. Eibach (for instance) are a good mod. IDS suspension will go at some point so loads have swapped them out for a decent aftermarket set (as an example Bilstein B8’s are a good alternative). Running costs like fuel, tax etc can be high. Coil packs can fail without warning. Use the correct spark plugs if you get it mapped. Boost control solenoid can fail but it’s a cheap replacement. The pipe work is as brittle as a warm kitkat and can cause boost issues. Easily fixed by silicone hose. In improper servicing and general not looking after them the chains can fail. This is probably the single most expensive job. Luckily Nick150 is our resident ninja so he’s your first port of call. Just to add though there are some high mileage vectras out there that have never had chains replaced. You’ll either get a series of faults or they’ll just go.

Apart from that just get one and enjoy it. Once remapped it opens up the car. Stage 1 about 300-310bhp with about 400ft lb of torque

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '55' Sapphire Black VXR Estate. Eibach Prosport all round, remapped by Rabbid. DO88 intake kit.

VXR newbie

Thanks for the great response spike!

Not the OP, but lots of great info here.

VXRed blooded

You might find more info in more detail on the vectra on the vectra c forum :thumb:
    Vectra VXR estate 07

VXR newbie

thank you for your help spike, I will bare all that in mind when coming to look / buy one

than you dog_book

+ Reply to Thread