+ Reply to Thread

Default Haldex Holy Trinity

Interesting thread from Audi Forum regarding Gen iv and Gen v haldex http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1496577. It's VAG specific but similar to so many threads on here.

The relationship between the pump, the filter and the clutches is discussed in depth and there are some interesting observations from the author: " The mechanical hardware in the Haldex Clutch/coupling is quite robust, and does not suffer from mechanical failure. In the 800 or so VW/Audi vehicles I have been involved with, only 2 vehicles up to now have had mechanical failure, both of which have been modified power upgraded vehicles."
    . That's a curious observation but is probably explained by the gross weight factor of the Siggy VXR.

What seems clear is that the servicing of the pump, oil and filter should be mandatory. But it isn't with VAG and others. Now where have we heard that before??

Key points:

"Haldex reduced the specification of the Generation 4 Haldex System by ditching the pressure sensor which Generation 2 systems had...It was a diagnostic sensor...Without this sensor the system is blind to it’s pumping/pressure delivery efficiency"

"Pumps burn out because the filter clogs up with scum. Typically cars clog the filter between 45k and 80k miles. But I have seen a Golf R with just 17k miles on the clock with a clogged filter."

"a Haldex pre change pump V181 which no longer delivers good oil pressure will also give the same symptoms...Jumping/skipping wheel when turning tight corners in car parks etc.A binding sensation when doing tight turns."

I guess getting the haldex upgraded is a sensible move (especially for Stage 1,2,3) but a routine service would seem a wise thing to practice; even after an upgrade.

VXRed blooded

It's a wet clutch pack so regardless of what brand car it's in it should get an oil and filter service every other year at the very least.
    Its just a shame the car makers didn't train their staff and that's why car owners are in such a mess

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by genman View Post
    It's a wet clutch pack so regardless of what brand car it's in it should get an oil and filter service every other year at the very least.
    Its just a shame the car makers didn't train their staff and that's why car owners are in such a mess
    Yes, for as long as I have my Insignia it's my intention to have an oil and filter service for the 4wd every 2yrs/20k. Probably cost £300.

I also intend to give serious consideration to changing the diff pump every 4yrs/40k. Probably cost £800.
    Insignia Elite 2.8T (2012), Viva SE-AC (2017).

Quote Originally Posted by genman View Post
    Yeah, the head mechanic at my local Opel garage also said that it was stupid that Opel/Vx did not specify a service interval on the unit. His recommendation was 2 years or 40.000 km. A cheap insurance really at 300£.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

+ Reply to Thread