+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    VXRed blooded
    Join Date
    9th June 2015
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sporticus View Post
    I have vx involved as I think 2nd gear can be a bit “iffy” for precise selection. Is there an upgrade clutch option out there? Even if it means I pay some towards.
    My car is the same with gear changes from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. I find that it depends how you hold the gearstick as you change. Been doing it since I bought the car but I haven't bothered about it.

  2. #12
    Are you VXR enough? Dalle1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    17th September 2011
    Posts
    935

    Default

    Yes - sachs has an uprated clutch kit which should be more than capable of handling the torque on a mapped car. I believe Thorney have done quite a few clutch upgrades for members on here.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

  3. #13
    Are you VXR enough? Dalle1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    17th September 2011
    Posts
    935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doorman View Post
    My car is the same with gear changes from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. I find that it depends how you hold the gearstick as you change. Been doing it since I bought the car but I haven't bothered about it.
    Me too - mine was especially bad from 2nd to 3rd.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

  4. #14
    VXRed blooded
    Join Date
    9th June 2015
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalle1985 View Post
    Yes - sachs has an uprated clutch kit which should be more than capable of handling the torque on a mapped car. I believe Thorney have done quite a few clutch upgrades for members on here.
    I had the uprated clutch fitted last June, handles the power great. I found that Courtenay Sport were the cheapest to buy it from as well as the flywheel. You have to get the uprated slave cylinder direct from Sachs.

  5. #15
    VXRed blooded
    Join Date
    9th June 2015
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalle1985 View Post
    Me too - mine was especially bad from 2nd to 3rd.
    Not the best gearboxes. I think my transferbox is needing replaced as well.

  6. #16
    VXR enough Sporticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    31st January 2010
    Posts
    2,242

    Default

    Very much a pattern here. Same issues with selection as on the Astra and a clutch that can’t handle the power (as it were). If they are to replace then I might do a deal with the stealer to upgrade it all.
    Current: Insignia VXR Supersport Unlimited, Corsa Black Edition 1.4t mapped (157bhp).
    Previous: Astra J VXR white (65), Monaro VXR 6.0 LS2, insignia 2.0t sidi vx-line nav (289bhp), V22VXR Vectra VXR Black, Black carbon Flash Insignia VX-Line Nav...215bhp, Astra Gte 2.0l Bertone! MK1 Gte, MK2 Gte 16v, Vectra Gsi 3.2, VXR8 LS2, Astra VXRacing 483.

  7. #17
    Are you VXR enough? Dalle1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    17th September 2011
    Posts
    935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sporticus View Post
    Very much a pattern here. Same issues with selection as on the Astra and a clutch that can’t handle the power (as it were). If they are to replace then I might do a deal with the stealer to upgrade it all.
    I believe it is the same gearbox, the F40 and indeed the same clutch in the Astra and Insignia - the same clutch as they use on the lower diesel model. And as the naming suggests, the F40 isn’t built for the power, it is only rated for 400 Nm. Which is also why the VXR/OPC has reduced power output in 1st and 2nd gear... and a hamstrung torque curve.

    I think it is down to the same basic issue as the Haldex: unlike other manufacturers of performance models, GM doesn’t bother with using uprated components. The clutch, the gearbox and the rear diff are off the shelf components from lower models and not designed for high power, high utilization applications.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

  8. #18
    VXR enough Sporticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    31st January 2010
    Posts
    2,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalle1985 View Post
    I believe it is the same gearbox, the F40 and indeed the same clutch in the Astra and Insignia - the same clutch as they use on the lower diesel model. And as the naming suggests, the F40 isn’t built for the power, it is only rated for 400 Nm. Which is also why the VXR/OPC has reduced power output in 1st and 2nd gear... and a hamstrung torque curve.

    I think it is down to the same basic issue as the Haldex: unlike other manufacturers of performance models, GM doesn’t bother with using uprated components. The clutch, the gearbox and the rear diff are off the shelf components from lower models and not designed for high power, high utilization applications.
    Absolutely. The f40 gen 1 was th sealed unit found on the likes of vectra VXR...when they made th item serviceable it became the troublesome box of today. Trouble is....they never really accept that fact.
    The haldex itself is a pretty robust piece of kit but does require regular oil changes that you need to request during a wet service....mine is being done soon as a matter of upkeep.
    Current: Insignia VXR Supersport Unlimited, Corsa Black Edition 1.4t mapped (157bhp).
    Previous: Astra J VXR white (65), Monaro VXR 6.0 LS2, insignia 2.0t sidi vx-line nav (289bhp), V22VXR Vectra VXR Black, Black carbon Flash Insignia VX-Line Nav...215bhp, Astra Gte 2.0l Bertone! MK1 Gte, MK2 Gte 16v, Vectra Gsi 3.2, VXR8 LS2, Astra VXRacing 483.

  9. #19
    VXRed blooded
    Join Date
    11th July 2017
    Posts
    326

    Default

    the uprated slave... is that because theres extra pressure needed for releasing the uprated backplate springs that would otherwise wreck an oem slaves seals.
    Sachs list 1 slave for these cars.... is it the correct one?
    https://www.sachsperformance.com/en/...r-613182600188

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts