+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Suspension

VXRed

Default Suspension

How do your guys cars handle potholes and bumps? I've got standard OEM components (2008, 79,000 all springs changed over last couple of years as well as drop links) but my car skips on potholes and bumps which makes it a pain to drive at times, can really feel it on the steering wheel.
    I cant remember it ever feeling like this but over the years its difficult to compare. I changed to 18" wheels about 5 years ago which should help.
    Just wondered if the struts are shot or whether all Vectra VXR's are same. Brakes in a straight line and springs are to strong to really do a bump test.

VXRed

Mine is pretty poor too; it is a 2009-registered car and has covered only 17,000 miles and is on 19-inch wheels.

Funny thing is, I've had the car since 2010 and it is only the last couple of years the ride quality (or lack of it) has begun to bug me. I don't know whether the roads have got that much worse (they don't spend much on them in Cambridgeshire unless it is to put in a cycle lane) or whether something on the car has deteriorated, but on a bumpy road it is getting impossible to drive it at all briskly as it skips about and won't put the power down.

My everyday car is a Vectra SRi on 17 -inch wheels and that car is so much better.

I have previously started a thread to get opinions on whether the ride would improve on 18-inch wheels, and when the car is out of Winter hibernation I shall decide what to do about it. Initial thoughts are to go to 18-inch wheels but also, whilst sticking to the correct size and load rating, I will consider avoiding XL tyres; the sidewalls on the tyres fitted now (Continental) are rock hard and cannot help the ride.

I doubt the recommended tyre pressures help either, and I am convinced they are set high to protect the fragile wheels. I have a Jaguar XKR that runs on 20-inch wheels and lower tyre pressures than the VXR and that rides better too.

I have no reason to believe the suspension is at fault but will get it checked out before opening my wallet! I do doubt whether fancy dampers are all they are cracked up to be though. I shall probably swap the wheels on my cars for a week and see how the 19-inch VXR wheels affect the SRi and vice versa, which should help narrow down where the problem lies.

It would certainly be useful to get a ride in other cars though, to compare set-up and characteristics.

VXRed blooded

Have a look at my car diary on vec c for all the info on mine, it handles very very well for a big long lump
    Vectra VXR estate 07

I had a Sri 2.0t before on 17’s and it makes a hell off a difference, a lot more comfortable, than the VXR on 19’s.(at book pressure)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VXRed

Interesting and thanks for reply. I can remember when I changed to 18" from the OEM wheels (wolfrace) that the ride was noticeably better not world changing but better.
    Your car being a year younger and also only 17000 miles, seems like maybe its the roads getting worse as much as the suspension ageing.
    When the car is probably only worth 4,000 odd, you have to consider how much to spend on it. Having said that I've owned it for 9 years and still enjoy driving it apart from the worse ride.

VXRed

What made you swap, was it just the power of the VXR? I would have thought the SRI was pretty rapid.

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by Dog_Book View Post
    Have a look at my car diary on vec c for all the info on mine, it handles very very well for a big long lump
    Will do, thanks.

175 to 300hp little better and I like a V6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by jimhammer View Post
    Interesting and thanks for reply. I can remember when I changed to 18" from the OEM wheels (wolfrace) that the ride was noticeably better not world changing but better.
    Your car being a year younger and also only 17000 miles, seems like maybe its the roads getting worse as much as the suspension ageing.
    When the car is probably only worth 4,000 odd, you have to consider how much to spend on it. Having said that I've owned it for 9 years and still enjoy driving it apart from the worse ride.
    I certainly think a wheel/tyre change will be on the cards for mine, though as I have said I'll try the 19s on the SRi first to compare. I'll experiment with the pressures as well; I have already tried the VXR with as much as 6psi under the recommended pressures, which has improved it slightly but is not an ideal course of action.

I'll then look at dampers if I require further improvement, though I do not want to change springs as I do not want to lower the car.

As I mentioned, I don't have much faith in fancy dampers and I think a good conventional coil / damper arrangement seems to work better, at least from my experience of mine and my brother's cars (we have quite a variety between us). The IDS might have worked well on test 13 or 14 years ago, but may be less satisfactory in the real world today. Even my brother's Jaguar XJ with the air set-up doesn't like ridges and bumps much either.

It's the roads! I've been to a few different cities (inc That London) in the past 6/7 months and it's the same everywhere, the whole infrastructure is crumbling away and there isn't a penny being spent on anything but the new SMART Motorways.... You know the mass revenue generating schemes they are trying to convince us are for safety !!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast