+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil okay?

VXRed

Default Oil okay?

This is my engine oil...

My Corsa VXR is 2010 and has around 53,000 miles on the clock and is completely stock. I bought the car 6 months ago and it had a full service at my local garage straight away when I bought it, which obviously included an oil and filter change and a new air filter. I have never really driven the car hard, only on the odd occasion. It's usually used for my 20 minute journey to and from work each day in typical rush hour traffic. I've done about 5,000 miles in the 6 months I've owned it.

(The picture was taken a few weeks ago. I checked again today before leaving work after the car had been sitting cold all day and the oil looked even blacker and was further up the dipstick, as if it was overfilled)

I called at my garage today to get a quote for the timing belt to be replaced and I also mentioned about the oil. The guy asked my mileage and said that because they only did the oil change 6 months ago and I'd only done 5,000 miles and because they used high-quality oil then it should be fine for another 6 months, even though it's black and smells very used/burned.

I just need some second opinions!

Should I be worried?

VXR enough

Unfortunately when the oil is drained the sump retains some which in turn gets mixed with the new oil hence the quick discolouring, perfectly normal, i change mine every 3k or 6 months which ever comes first if that helps

VXRed

So this oil looks okay and doesn't need changing?

Looks normal for age and mileage to me

Looks normal.
    SAVE THE VXR AND STOP BUYING SUV TOSH!

VXR enough

The real answer is its very hard to estimate the condition of the oil using the dipstick becuase as stated, once new oil is put in it will have mixed with any remnants and darkens.

The other thing is just because your garage says they've changed the oil doesn't mean thats the truth...i've bought plenty of cars where the garage has promised xyz and its not been done, or done properly.

I might be a cynic but the comment "used high-quality oil" raises an eyebrow for me; sound more like "we'll say that to fob the guy off" because realistically a garage thats selling a car will use whatever oil they've got at cost lying about otherwise they don't make money.

Basically they may have actually changed it or they may not.

If you're not happy with it change it yourself for piece of mind and then you know its been done...it only costs about 35 quid for oil and filter and 30 mins max of your time.
    Corsa SRI Turbo and Facelift Corsa 1.4 SE

Even a car with low mileage but short trips can have darkened oil - change your oil once every 5-6k would be my advise, and make sure it's fully synthetic

Astra

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by u33db View Post
    The real answer is its very hard to estimate the condition of the oil using the dipstick becuase as stated, once new oil is put in it will have mixed with any remnants and darkens.

The other thing is just because your garage says they've changed the oil doesn't mean thats the truth...i've bought plenty of cars where the garage has promised xyz and its not been done, or done properly.

I might be a cynic but the comment "used high-quality oil" raises an eyebrow for me; sound more like "we'll say that to fob the guy off" because realistically a garage thats selling a car will use whatever oil they've got at cost lying about otherwise they don't make money.

Basically they may have actually changed it or they may not.

If you're not happy with it change it yourself for piece of mind and then you know its been done...it only costs about 35 quid for oil and filter and 30 mins max of your time.
    To be fair, him saying what he said cost him a sale... I asked if they should change it (they would have charged me an extra £30-50) and he said no because it probably doesn't need it. He wasn't trying to fob me off and pay for work that didn't need doing, it was the opposite!

VXRed

My oil looks just like that every year just before it’s serviced and I cover between 6 and 6.5k every year. Perfectly normal.

+ Reply to Thread