+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How to fit Powerfold mirror auto fold/unfold

Okay so, having spent this week sorting this mod out I thought I would post up a 'how to' just in case anybody wants to try it.

First of all a disclaimer. This is a guide only. I cannot and will not accept responsibility for any damage you may cause while following these instructions.

So first and foremost this mod will only be possible if your car has Powerfold mirrors already fitted. This mod will allow the mirrors to fold in when the door deadlock is activated, then unfold when the doors are opened like a few modern cars do, bentleys included lol.

The kit is from china and only costs a few quid

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-S...s/292343675997

Kit will come in this box and include a wiring loom and control module

First step is to disconnect battery for safety, then remove your door card from the driver side door and the mirror switch. There's plenty of info online in how to do this so I won't go through it in detail. It's simply 5 or 6 torx screws round the door card perimeter, unclip door grip handle and small cover behind the door handle to reveal 2 and 1 more torx screw respectively. Pull off door card held on by small snap in white poppers, unclip door handle and small courtesy light wire then remove and set safely to one side. Then peel back the protective cover on the door frame to reveal access to the main door loom.

finally remove the speaker by undoing the 3 torx bolts pulling it out and disconnecting the small connector behind.

Next you need to unclip the main door loom and pull it into the vacant speaker opening to access the wires. Press up on the big clip holding the main body loom the the door loom, as you prize the top clip up the the main body loom should pull away from the door loom

Next you need to release the door loom from its main clip, on the top you will see a little pink tab (tab appears yellow in above pic from camera flash), this levers up and allows the tabs on the side to be pushed in letting the door loom slip through the recess and into the door, then simply pull off the black tape holding the loom to the white runner inside the door and pull through the speaker hole to access it.

Peel back the black tape at a suitable distance down from the door loom plug. About 10-15cm is a good bet.then you need to check the door pin numbers to find the 3 wires you need to tap into from this loom.

The 3 wires from the autofold module loom you need to tap a feed to are the yellow, blue and green. For neatness I first threaded these through the rubber bung seal in the door frame so I could tape them into the loom unseen.

Right, now the important part. From this door loom you need to tap a feed from

Pin 4- a white wire, this is for unlock signal
    Pin 5- a black wire with green trace for door lock signal
    Pin 18- a black wire for ignition.

Get your soldering gun, solder and flux out lol

So carefully peel off some wire cover (or just cut the wires and have a 3 way solder join like I did) and solder the wires as follows

Solder yellow wire on the module loom to pin 18 (black wire) for ignition
    Solder blue wire to pin 4 (white wire) for unlock signal
    Solder green wire to pin 5 (black wire with green trace) for door lock signal.

Best bet is to slide heat shrink around before soldering then heat gun it to make it look neat

That's the lot for the door loom. Carefully re tape wires with black insulation tape. You can make it as neat as possible depending on your ocd levels (I made mine look oe). Then reconnect the door loom. Now you only have the switch loom side to wire in for part 2

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by w20adm; 7th March 2018 at 12:19 AM.
    W20 ADM's led Lighting shop, see link below for details
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-lighting-shop

Part 2

Ok from the switch loom about 10-15cm down from the loom plug, peel back some more tape to reveal the wires

From this loom take the clip apart to access the pins. You will see 2 wires of black with green trace and 2 black with brown trace coming from pins 6,7,22,23.

In a suitable place cut the 2 black/green and twine them together at the switch side and the other side.

Next do exactly the same with the black/brown trace wires, cut them both and twine together at either side of where module wires will connect.

From the wires on the switch end join the black/greens to the white on the module loom, and the black/browns to the grey on the module. Those are for the switch on and off of the mirrors.

Next join from the other side the other black/green to the brown wire from the module loom and the other sides black/brown wires to the orange wire from the module loom. These are for the signals to fold and unfold the mirrors when lock is engaged/disengaged. This might seem faddy but it's quite straight forward. I made the joins like in the below pics

This leaves only 2 wires left to plumb in, black and red

The red needs to be joined to the red wire from the switch. This is the battery positive wire and comes from pin 13. The black is the ground and needs to be spliced into pin 32 on the switch loom which is a brown wire. There are 2 brown wires here though so be sure you have the brown from pin 32 and nowhere else.

These are the final 2 wires.

now you need to tidy up the wires and once again depending on how ocd you are you can do this as tidy or as messy as you wish.

I simply piece by piece taped the wires up and together with the existing looms to get a nice oe look

Then connect the module

Next is the tedious step of resembling the door panel, so retract the steps and refit speaker, loom clips, handle and re attach the door insert.

The module will just sit nicely under your windows switch. Re attach and clip in the windows switch, reconnect battery and you're done!

This should be the end result

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a74f235...202_215359.mp4
    http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a74f23d...202_215415.mp4

Disclaimer, Just a quick note that some of these Chinese units have the colours mixed up for the brown and orange wires. Initially I had it working the wrong way round as mine happened to be one of these units, however a simple swap of the brown and orange wires corrected it. Hopefully you won't have this issue. Best bet is to not solder these 2 and test them first.

Have and go! It's and great mod and makes you look like and posh b****** when you lock up and walk away lol.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

VXRed blooded

Excellent write up Adam! There are several suppliers of these modules and as pointed out, depending on which one you get there is that possibility that the orange and brown wires have been incorrectly assembled. Just test prior to making the final connections. I have not come across any other instances of any other colours being mixed up. It is a fantastic mod and for under a tenner.

Exactly. Don't be put off by being frightened by wiring etc. It's easier than it may seem.

Fantastic! Nice job
    My Zafi OPC presentation and evolution http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...756-My-new-bus

VXRed

Hat off to you sir, fantastic tutorial ��

Quote Originally Posted by jevienju View Post
    Fantastic! Nice job
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobb1euk View Post
    Hat off to you sir, fantastic tutorial ��
    Cheers guys!

Just to note this is the same wiring on the Zafira so same process to fit to the zaf.

VXRed

How much did the kit cost altogether if you don’t mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by TomoVxr View Post
    How much did the kit cost altogether if you don’t mind me asking?
    Link is at the start mate. Module is under a tenner from Chinese eBay seller. But you need powerfold mirrors to begin with, if you don't have them already the original gm folding mirror kit is 200 quid from Courtenay sport or if your car is pre keyless 250 quid for the kit with the replacement door loom.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast