+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VXR newbie

Default Brake temp and squeal - New Member

Hello,

New to the forum and new to Vauxhalls, but hoping to get some guidance.

I have previously been into VW's having owned a variety of Golf's, Passat's and other classic VW's. After looking for a new car I got my hands on a 2013 Astra VXR in Arden Blue (22k Miles and Full Vauxhall Service History), lovely clean car barely a mark on it.

After a mere 24 hours of ownership I managed to hit something in the fast lane of the A14 which scratch up the bumper! But anyway that not my issue. (Never have I hit anything in the road before.... what are the chances... )

My issue:

Brakes:

So on my test drives I didn't notice this issue.

The front two brake discs get to similar temperature (Hot but what I would expect), but the rear drivers side is Hot hot with the alloy also being pretty warm to touch. Where as the rear passenger side is luke warm. At times there is a high pitched squeal but this disappears when you touch the brakes and isn't always there.

Anything spring to mind with these symptoms as to what could be the issue.

Thanks

Sounds like a seized caliper. Is the handling affected at all?

Could be a handbrake issue. But it needs looking at.

VXRed blooded

Two options ,take it back to Vauxhall get them to look at it , or jack up the rear of the car with the hand brake off you should be able to spin the wheels easily by hand if not the caliper is binding and you will need to have it sorted out .

VXR newbie

Thanks guys, to be honest I have always done my own work on my cars and had similar thoughts as posted here but wanted to see if there is any common faults.

After talking to the garage I brought it from they are going to have a look and hopefully sort it under warranty. Since I have only owned the cars since Monday...I feel this is a bit early to get my own hands dirty, considering the cost of the car!

Anything else I should look out for before the warranty ends?

Not aware of any common brake problems other than the odd backing plate that can get bent out of shape and squeak. Sometimes brakes can get built up with dust and dirt, causing a squeak, but these are just things that get annoying rather than a safety issue. I think you've just got an unlucky brake, could be simple to fix or just a caliper by the sounds of it. If it's got a warranty, should be straight forward.
    A friend of mine had a caliper issue on a golf, felt like it had a flat when driving it. He stopped to check and noticed the other wheels were warm, but the n/s front could have fried an egg. Replaced caliper, problem solved.

Check out some of the posts in the Astra J section and see what other people have had.
    Ask the garage if they have filled up the gearbox oil and how much. If they have not done it, it not a big job to do, see the how to section.

VXRed blooded

These are great cars beautiful on the eye and great to drive ,keep your eye out for 2nd gear popping out if it starts to do this you will need to have the box rebuilt or replaced this is the main let down on this vehicle but if you change the gear oil every year you should be OK .

VXR newbie

Update - Just a sticking pad, remedied under warranty. Ill look into the gear box oil as suggested.

Cheers

Glad to hear it was quickly sorted and welcome to the club! Even better that your experience hasn't dampened your feelings on these cars. I'm on my 2nd one now
    2017 Black FULLY LOADED Navi950

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast