+ Reply to Thread
    VXR newbie

Default Some general buying advice sought

Iíve decided that thereís a space in my garage/life to add a cheap, practical yet nippy little car to my ďfleetĒ. Iíve decided that the Meriva VXR fits the bill ideally.

That said, due to their rarity there doesnít seem to be too much on line in terms of buying advice. So....whatís the things to look out for with these models? So far Iíve gathered that donít have the most robust gear boxes.

Also, whereís the best place to look for them? Iíve seen some up for way over my budget on places like eBay, but from reading several comments on here it would appear that the going rate is significantly less than the ones Iíve came across (some people saying £2,500 and lower). Iím not bothered about colour, but the lower the mileage the better.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

The 2 main issues are the M32 gearbox, and a EPS fails.

Ideally find a car that has had BOTH sorted, with receipts to prove it.

The M32 can have uprated bearings fitted.

The EPS fails and if it doesn't fall into Vauxhalls criteria to replace it free (12years, under 100k miles) it canbe anything up to £1200 to replace.

Currently Driving - Lotus Carlton - Astra TwinTop - MINI Clubman Cooper - Nova GSi
    Written off - Meriva VXR

VXR newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Keif View Post
    The 2 main issues are the M32 gearbox, and a EPS fails.

Ideally find a car that has had BOTH sorted, with receipts to prove it.

The M32 can have uprated bearings fitted.

The EPS fails and if it doesn't fall into Vauxhalls criteria to replace it free (12years, under 100k miles) it canbe anything up to £1200 to replace.
    Thanks for that advice Keif. I didnít realise the EPS could have such an expensive repair cost. At least I know now.

Whatís peopleís thoughts on mileage. Are these engines bullet proof if serviced properly, or do they start blowing not long after the 100k mark?

Any engine that's looked after and had regular oil changes should be O.K. however obviously the less the better. Also regular oil changes on the M32 help it's life too. Normally needs 0.2 over the recommended amount. Which I can't remember off the top of my head.

Currently Driving - Lotus Carlton - Astra TwinTop - MINI Clubman Cooper - Nova GSi
    Written off - Meriva VXR

VXR newbie

Any engine that's looked after and had regular oil changes should be O.K. however obviously the less the better. Also regular oil changes on the M32 help it's life too. Normally needs 0.2 over the recommended amount. Which I can't remember off the top of my head.

Thatís sound advice. Thank you.

So whereís the best place to find them? Places like eBay and autotrader, or through websites like this, or perhaps Facebook?

You'll get a more "loved" car from here, however i've not seen one listed on here For Sale for a long time.

"Vauxhall Meriva Owners" Club on Facebook would be a good place to start. There was someone with a Black one looking for a sale or swap the other day.

Autotrader would be another option, just be as fussy as you can and work with the price if you find issues.

Written off - Meriva VXR

VXR newbie

You'll get a more "loved" car from here, however i've not seen one listed on here For Sale for a long time.

"Vauxhall Meriva Owners" Club on Facebook would be a good place to start. There was someone with a Black one looking for a sale or swap the other day.

Autotrader would be another option, just be as fussy as you can and work with the price if you find issues.
    Will do. Iíve just asked to join the Meriva FB group too. Iím not in a great rush so I suppose Iíve got the luxury of being able to bide my time for the right one. First things first, Iíve got a few things to do to my Sierra Cosworth before the spring comes.

+ Reply to Thread