+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VXR newbie

Angry Intercooler Problem

Intercooler Problem
    My Astra H Vxr is completley standard no aftermarket upgrades at all, after a long journey the other day i noticed steam coming from my engine bay, pulled over and it appears water is leaking from somewhere and getting onto the hot pipes. After letting the engine cool down i noticed it had lost alot of water so topped it up and let it sit for a while, no water leaked but 10 mins into my next journey and the problem returned. It appears my intercooler has a hole in it (somehow) and although it doesnt appear to be the direct source of the leak, no doubt this will be causing problems. My question is should i replace this intercooler for another standard one, or should i go full Airtech FMIC and remove the old standard unit if not needed? Please Help!

VXR Nothing comes close vr55vxr's Avatar

Are you sure it is the intercooler, as this only has air in it

Probably it is the radiator, and require replacing it is leaking and you are using coolant

VXR newbie

I wasnt 100% sure which is intercooler and which is rad, searched vxr intercoolers and looks the same as mine with hole in so assumed its that. The coolant is droppin onto the belt to the left of the engine causing it to spray once it gets hot, hope this narrows.

Sounds like it’s radiator as if it’s completely standard you won’t be running an intercooler
    07 Arden blue VXR(H). 3” scorpion turbo back, pipercross cone filter, front mounted intercooler. Running stage 2 map dyno tested at 290bhp 340 lb torque.
    Black rear diffuser, black boot trim, black tinted windows. Piano black console and steering wheel trims. Carbon fibre dash trims.

Standard vxr’s do run an intercooler ^

Anyway, it’s your radiator that’s damaged. There are 3 coolers in the front of all vxr’s and they are in this order from front to back...
    AC condenser
    Intercooler
    Radiator

I would check all pipes first to ensure they are not split and if they are good then go about replacing the radiator.

VXR newbie

Thanks for reply Ant21, your knowledge and help is greatly appreciated. Il get to work at weekend to find the cause of the issue now im abit more clued up, will post update on here.

No problem. Just do not let it run out of coolant!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ant21 View Post
    Standard vxr’s do run an intercooler ^

Anyway, it’s your radiator that’s damaged. There are 3 coolers in the front of all vxr’s and they are in this order from front to back...
    AC condenser
    Intercooler
    Radiator

I would check all pipes first to ensure they are not split and if they are good then go about replacing the radiator.
    If you can call the standard one an intercooler lol. The way it's tucked behind the radiator makes it virtually pointless.
    W20 ADM's led Lighting shop, see link below for details
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-lighting-shop

Quote Originally Posted by w20adm View Post
    If you can call the standard one an intercooler lol. The way it's tucked behind the radiator makes it virtually pointless.
    Agreed. It's tiny too. FMIC is a good thing to add to these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An example of cost saving from various. Using the same kinda setup as in the cdti
    W20 ADM's led Lighting shop, see link below for details
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-lighting-shop

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast