+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VXR newbie

Default Astra vxr puff of smoke

Hi, new forum member. Have had 2008 astra vxr for about a month, its done 80k, its full stage 3, courtney sport stage 3, full 3" milltek turbo back catless, done about 700miles and car feels amazing, boost hard about 20psi, and pulls no problem, coolant level stays perfect,..

The problem being i have a occasional puff of smoke when coming to a stop/slowing down.. (white smoke) Usually at slow speed, NO smoke on hot tickover, NO smoke on boost...

Also i have notice oil in the intercooler intake pipe???

Oil is 5w40 shell helix, should i try a 10/50

Does this sound like turbo seals, letting oil through.. Or stem seals????

Compression test was 200psi on all 4 cylinders

Any ideas will be appreciated

Are you VXR enough? ARCTIC MARK's Avatar

If it was stem seals then it would smoke heavily on idle
    Opel Astra Burg #686, Eibach springs, Bilstein shocks, Whiteline adjustable rear anti roll bar, Turbo smart actuator & recirculation valve, Brembo 4 pot brakes, DNA Performance FMIC, Enlarged top hat & pipework, 3" Turbo back stainless exhaust, 6k AFL's, Smoked side repeaters, Silvatec indicator lamps, Heko wind deflectors, Insignia washer jets, Crossover delete, Piper cross cone filter, SM Tuning Stage 3 - 296BHP / 340ftlb Torque.

White smoke isn't oil. It's likely that there's condensation lodging in pockets of the exhaust. As you slow, inertia sends some liquid water forward to hotter parts of the exhaust, which you then see as vapour exiting. It's probably more prominent with cold weather.

Oil in the intercooler may have been there for quite some time beforehand?
    OPC ÉIRE
    Drop me a PM for Irish meets, group adds etc.

VXR newbie

I never thought of that, but now you say it, it does condensate alot on cold mornings, so i wonder if water is trapped in back box, could drill a tiny weep hole, see what comes out?? Fingers crossed it is just trapped water.

You'll probably see even more if this forecasted super cold snap arrives.

VXR newbie

I done a video of exhaust, when driving, and maybe the smoke is slightly blue,?? Im gonna go for replacment stem seals with retainers. And see if it cures it, as it a worthwhile modification anyway, and cheaper than a turbo.. Plus it has had a replacment gm turbo in last 5k? Will report back when steam seals are replaced.

Don't rush into that just yet.
    Since you've mentioned blue smoke and an aftermarket exhaust, first check that an oil restrictor bolt is present.
    The lack of backpressure when slowing down along with the larger diameter exhaust could well be your cause of blue smoke
    OPC ÉIRE
    Drop me a PM for Irish meets, group adds etc.

VXR newbie

Quote Originally Posted by VeXeR View Post
    Don't rush into that just yet.
    Since you've mentioned blue smoke and an aftermarket exhaust, first check that an oil restrictor bolt is present.
    The lack of backpressure when slowing down along with the larger diameter exhaust could well be your cause of blue smoke
    VeXeR appreciate all the advice, i did look into the oil restrictor bolt mod, but after taking the old bolt out i realised that my turbo has the inbuilt restrictor, apparently standard on 2008 + plus cars. Or newer k04's...

Strange how the smoking only started after i done an oil change, and put 5w40 shell helix ultra, (its definitely not overfilled i check that first) and there is no overheating mayo, or anything along them lines so HG is fine. And also done a compression test and all results was 200psi on all 4 cylinders so i guess that rules out piston rings...?

VXR newbie

For anyone who is interested, or experiencing similar issues, smoke when slowing down, and overrun, i thought i would bring you an update on this.may help someone in future

I first tried stem seal and nevlock retainers, a worthwhile mod. But unfortunately this did not fix the issue.!!!

I then purchased a stage 1 k04 hybrid turbo core from krs turbos. Fitted this and now car is perfect. No smoke whatsoever..

So after reading so many horror stories of worn piston rings ect... A new turbo sorted it in the end.

I was getting absolutely no smoke on hot idle whosoever. And absolutely no smoke on boost ect.... Only when slowing on overrun i would get a few puffs...

Hope this helps somebody in future..

VXRed blooded

At least you where seeing early signs of something not 100% with your car, scary how many never notice til its too late.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast