+ Reply to Thread

Default Not Always The Haldex Mechanicals

My 2015 Holden Insignia VXR threw up the "Service AWD System" and "Service Rear Axle" messages last week. It's done 48,000km.

The dealer found the "rear differential clutch control module to have internal failure". They "removed and replaced module as required. Programmed, calibrated and reinspected - all ok."

They said they'd never seen that failure before ... all done under warranty, so I'm pleased about that!
    Last edited by peterdw; 1st March 2018 at 07:30 AM.

VXRed blooded

good news

That is quite interesting! Very few stories of facelift VXRs suffering from failures... how many km has it done and have you had the haldex serviced?
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

Quote Originally Posted by Dalle1985 View Post
    ... how many km has it done and have you had the haldex serviced?
    It's done 48,000km (30,000 miles) and only had the routine / scheduled servicing. I assume that means the Haldex probably hasn't been serviced ... if Holden do what Vauxhall do (or don't do). I have a 5 year warranty, so can relax for a couple more years!

Quote Originally Posted by peterdw View Post
    It's done 48,000km (30,000 miles) and only had the routine / scheduled servicing. I assume that means the Haldex probably hasn't been serviced ... if Holden do what Vauxhall do (or don't do). I have a 5 year warranty, so can relax for a couple more years!
    That doesn’t sound like anything that should break then. Seems like a genuine clutch pack failure then and not because it wasn’t serviced! Which is a bit worrying as the facelift units were supposed to be more durable.

FYI: My local Opel garage suggested to get the unit serviced every 40k km, but it isn’t on any GM service schedule and the official recommendation is to service the unit only if there are any symptoms in the form of juddering or a sticky acceleration (which often means that the CP has already gone).

But good to hear they got you sorted - 5 year warranty is way better than what they offer in Europe.

VXRed blooded

About the haldex/clutch service, I just have siggy oil change this week but apparently they are coming back from this service thing.
    My garage knows well OPC's and his contact in Switzerland apparently do not recommend to service rear pack anymore.

We all know what the problem can be : seal getting worn and fluids being exchanged (not sexually :P ) between diff and clutch, which is not good.
    What he said me was that servicing the diff is more likely to induce seal failure.

Thinking about this, maybe he just only understood that I wanted diff oil change only, and not the full service with clutch oil + seal... will get back to you with its answer when it come...

Quote Originally Posted by Dalle1985 View Post
    ... Seems like a genuine clutch pack failure then ...
    When you say "clutch pack", are you thinking mechanical or electrical components? I assumed the "clutch control module" that failed was an electronic controller with a circuit board that had died, as per here

I wasn't thinking they'd changed anything involving torque (just electrons), but could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by peterdw View Post
    When you say "clutch pack", are you thinking mechanical or electrical components? I assumed the "clutch control module" that failed was an electronic controller with a circuit board that had died, as per here

I wasn't thinking they'd changed anything involving torque (just electrons), but could be wrong.
    Ahh... That is what you get for not reading what people write properly I didn’t see your first post saying control module! Never mind then!

+ Reply to Thread