+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VXRed

Default New battery needed

Hi,
    have just came back from a week in the sun.
    With all this bad weather we have been having, went to start the car and nothing there.
    I have noticed over the last coming weeks that the car seemed slower to start.
    Also the start/stop system does not kick in no longer.
    As the car will be coming up to 5years old this June I'm thinking that the battery life is most likely near its end.
    My question is should I go for OE or aftermarket brand.
    If this is so what will I expect to pay for them.
    Having looked at the Battery its marked up as 12v 80AH.
    has anyone on this site replaced theirs and with what brand.
    I tend to stick with OE as they fit correctly but I know they come as a premium
    Many thanks
    Rich

VXR Nothing comes close vr55vxr's Avatar

You can not replace the battery yourself , it has to be programmed / paired to the car.

FYI - the car requires a AGM battery because of the stop / start
    Last edited by vr55vxr; 4th March 2018 at 09:44 PM.

VXRed blooded

Quote Originally Posted by vr55vxr View Post
    You can not replace the battery yourself , it has to be programmed / paired to the car.

FYI - the car requires a AGM battery because of the stop / start
    Are you serious! Ffs, how much is it going to cost if you ever need a new one? Can’t belive I’ve got a car that needs a battery programmed in! Jeeezzz ussss!

VXR enough

batteryguys.co.uk can supply batteries for stop/start Astra J. Google it and you find lots of suppliers.

Having removed and refitted the battery on mine I cannot see how it could require pairing to the car, you do need to follow a set procedure to disconnect it (ignition on and then off, disconnect within 30 seconds or so).

The battery for start stop is different to a normal battery, but it's still only a 12v power source

VXRed

Have been told by Vauxhall mechanics that it's a simple swap over of the battery, no programming or pairing required.
    I may need the code for the stereo however.
    Genuine OE battery to cost £210, that's with 15% off list price.
    These AGM batteries cost the earth!
    AGM means there stop/start compatible.
    They will fit free of charge!!!, at that price I should think so.
    On previous cars the most I have paid for a car battery has been roughly £50.
    And on a minus sign, I hate stop/start full stop!!
    Gripe over.

VXRed

It’s not so much pairing it, you have to reset the battery values to allow stop start to work etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VXRed

Yes, the car keeps track of how many stop/start cycles the battery has done. If you do not reset this when replacing the battery stop/start will eventually stop working. It's only an issue if you leave Eco mode on, which I don't, and there probably aren't any other side effects if you don't reset the counter. It's something the dealer will need to reset and for me personally I'd rather have it done to avoid any issues/glitches with the car.

Quote Originally Posted by richiegsi View Post
    Have been told by Vauxhall mechanics that it's a simple swap over of the battery, no programming or pairing required.
    I may need the code for the stereo however.
    Genuine OE battery to cost £210, that's with 15% off list price.
    These AGM batteries cost the earth!
    AGM means there stop/start compatible.
    They will fit free of charge!!!, at that price I should think so.
    On previous cars the most I have paid for a car battery has been roughly £50.
    And on a minus sign, I hate stop/start full stop!!
    Gripe over.
    From reading this.....remind me to run a mile from any stop / start car that I look at in the future.

VXRacing ahead

Quote Originally Posted by vxrmjp View Post
    From reading this.....remind me to run a mile from any stop / start car that I look at in the future.

I think they are all stop/start these days from approx 12-14 on, they keep down emmsions, and ruin the rest of the car, turbo etc. The good old jolly motorist has to pay the battery cost as well. Used eco about 3 times , when i was desperate for fuel and searching for a shell garage for 99, and stuck in traffic.

The winter weather has obviously cained that battery, but this is quite common when going on your hols.

Good luck with that price!, i would want them to address the battery as sir and bring it on a gold cushion before they fiited it lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast