+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Insignia B VXR Down Under

Watched the new Holden Commodores around the Adelaide 500 at the weekend so went onto Holden's website and was surprised to find a VXR!
    https://www.holden.com.au/cars/commodore/vxr-liftback

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

Yes, car manufacturing has ceased in Australia (both Holden/GMH and Ford have stopped) so no more locally produced Commodores. The new Commodore is a rebadged Insignia in a variety of forms, including VXR spec. Runs a 3.6L non-turbo V6 compared to my 2015 Holden Insignia VXR with the 2.8L turbo. The 3.6L produces 230kW and 380NM compared to the 239kW and 435NM of the 2.8L.

The 3.6 is a pretty boring engine... what we really want to see is the 3.0 TT unit with 400 ps! Now that would be good fun... unfortunately, I don’t think we’ll see another OPC/VXR model with the purchase of Opel by PSA.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

Quote Originally Posted by peterdw View Post
    Yes, car manufacturing has ceased in Australia (both Holden/GMH and Ford have stopped) so no more locally produced Commodores. The new Commodore is a rebadged Insignia in a variety of forms, including VXR spec. Runs a 3.6L non-turbo V6 compared to my 2015 Holden Insignia VXR with the 2.8L turbo. The 3.6L produces 230kW and 380NM compared to the 239kW and 435NM of the 2.8L.
    But back in the UK we don't get a VXR only a GSi at the moment, be interested to see how the 3.6 twin turbo does when it is tried in the Supercars

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

They should just import it as is ... call it the "Insignia GT" or something.
    I'd prefer the 3.6L V6 to the 260hp four-pot.
    It's probably not going to happen, though.

The future is that Insignias will be:
    Peugeot Platforms,
    Peugeot Engines,
    Peugeot Gearboxes,
    Peugeot Suspension,
    Peugeot Electrics,
    Opel engineered infotainment,
    Opel / VX badge stuck on the front.

I'm sure that Opel / Vx will do fine selling the smaller stuff, and crossovers.
    But there will be a proportion of Insignia buyers that aren't going to be impressed by the recipe above.

Quote Originally Posted by dvinell View Post
    They should just import it as is ... call it the "Insignia GT" or something.
    I'd prefer the 3.6L V6 to the 260hp four-pot.
    It's probably not going to happen, though.

The future is that Insignias will be:
    Peugeot Platforms,
    Peugeot Engines,
    Peugeot Gearboxes,
    Peugeot Suspension,
    Peugeot Electrics,
    Opel engineered infotainment,
    Opel / VX badge stuck on the front.

I'm sure that Opel / Vx will do fine selling the smaller stuff, and crossovers.
    But there will be a proportion of Insignia buyers that aren't going to be impressed by the recipe above.
    You never know what will come, the new 508 is a bit of a surprise, could that be the same platform for the next Insignia

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/peuge...-first-edition

Vauxhall wasn't seen as German even when the cars were built in Germany and Opel pulled the strings - should we think of Vauxhall as French simply because one large company bought something off another large company from America - confusing huh lol

Astra

Styling looks good.
    But a FWD 1.6T with 225hp?

That's about as slow as an Insignia GSi

I'm currently thinking more along these lines for a next car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbUxILE67UQ
    Last edited by dvinell; 8th March 2018 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dvinell View Post
    Styling looks good.
    But a FWD 1.6T with 225hp?

That's about as slow as an Insignia GSi

I'm currently thinking more along these lines for a next car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbUxILE67UQ
    No idea if there's any AWD ability on the platform, perhaps so if they do a hybrid etc

Astra

Regional Organiser - Southern scorer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IanJ View Post
    You never know what will come, the new 508 is a bit of a surprise, could that be the same platform for the next Insignial
    Yep. 508 and current Insignia are the same car. Grandland and Crossland are aswell

Quote Originally Posted by scorer View Post
    Yep. 508 and current Insignia are the same car. Grandland and Crossland are aswell
    I don't think that's right.
    Insignia Grand Sport is built on the GM E2 modular platform.
    Peugeot 508 is on their own EMP2 platform.

Grandland / Crossland, yes, they were joint developments with Peugeot.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-ne...d-performance/

"The project leader recounts a story about how the 508 almost ended up on the Vauxhall Insignia’s components set. Back in 2012, PSA and GM’s then-leaders had agreed to pool their large cars to boost volume. ‘We already had the idea to make the 508 smaller but the decision was taken to put this car on the Insignia platform. [We undertook feasibility] but it was too big, too heavy, so the engine [economy and emissions figures] were not how we were projecting the segment to develop! I told my boss: “We can’t do it”.’
    Last edited by dvinell; 8th March 2018 at 05:08 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast