+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    VXRed blooded

Default Passenger front whining?

Hi guys. My VXR has been running flawlessly since having all it's work done but it's developed a whining noise from the passenger side front (or that's what it sounds like) where at over 30mph there is a noticeable whining noise which has gradually got louder over the past months.

The noise seems to change pitch based on how fast the wheels are turning and not what the engine is doing. I can coast at 60 out of gear or slowly drop the speed of the car and the noise is consistent with how fast the wheels are turning.

Personally, in my extremely limited knowledge, this sounds like a wheel bearing but typically dont wheel bearing failures sound like extra road noise? I've got my MOT towards the end of the month and was wondering if anyone's got any ideas prior to going.

Edit: to go with this there's no strange handling or vibrations that I can feel.

Cheers.
    Astra H VXR | Stage 3 | 304 Bhp | Whiteline RARB | AEM cone filter | Direct Route | Airtec front mount intercooler | Cobra Sport 3" Exhaust non-resonated + Sports cat

Regional Assistant - Scotland West f1slikki's Avatar

Yeah could be wheel bearing or maybe gearbox needing a refurb if the whine is coming from that area.
    Arden Astra H VXR/Stage 2/6k Afl's/19"Gloss Black Alloys/Powerfold Mirrors/Sight & Light Pack/Parking Sensors/Keyless Entry,Start/Full Remus&Oil Restrictor Bolt By Jigger/Blue,Red SMD By Stampede/Drilled & Grooved Discs/Tints/Green Cotton Filter/Carbon Iinlays/VXR Grill Badge/Private 3D Gel Carbon Plate/Team Hekos/Stubby Bmw Ariel/Debadged//Indicator Surrounds/C,C Bootstrip/Led Side & Plate Lights/VXRO Stickers/

Passenger front whining is usually the missus ....
    W20 ADM's led Lighting shop, see link below for details
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-lighting-shop

My bet is the gearbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like your gearbox is on the way out unfortunately. Better get saving...

VXRed blooded

Quote Originally Posted by f1slikki View Post
    Yeah could be wheel bearing or maybe gearbox needing a refurb if the whine is coming from that area.
    Gearbox or diff bearings?

Does anyone know if RND Motorsport do M32 work/rebuilds to fix this? If they don't I'm going to end up gambling on my local garage working this out or driving down to Courteny or past London to WG
    Last edited by offender; 9th March 2018 at 11:58 PM.
    Astra H VXR | Stage 3 | 304 Bhp | Whiteline RARB | AEM cone filter | Direct Route | Airtec front mount intercooler | Cobra Sport 3" Exhaust non-resonated + Sports cat

Quote Originally Posted by w20adm View Post
    Passenger front whining is usually the missus ....
    They usually get louder with increasing engine speed
    SAVE THE VXR AND STOP BUYING SUV TOSH!

Quote Originally Posted by offender View Post
    Gearbox or diff bearings?
    I’m afraid you won’t know until the box is stripped
    Arden Astra H VXR/Stage 2/6k Afl's/19"Gloss Black Alloys/Powerfold Mirrors/Sight & Light Pack/Parking Sensors/Keyless Entry,Start/Full Remus&Oil Restrictor Bolt By Jigger/Blue,Red SMD By Stampede/Drilled & Grooved Discs/Tints/Green Cotton Filter/Carbon Iinlays/VXR Grill Badge/Private 3D Gel Carbon Plate/Team Hekos/Stubby Bmw Ariel/Debadged//Indicator Surrounds/C,C Bootstrip/Led Side & Plate Lights/VXRO Stickers/

Quote Originally Posted by vxrmjp View Post
    They usually get louder with increasing engine speed
    So true lmfao

VXRed blooded

Quote Originally Posted by f1slikki View Post
    I’m afraid you won’t know until the box is stripped
    Ah **** me Just what I needed. I might gamble on my local garage who does my MOT replacing the diff bearings because, as far as I know, the gearbox doesn't need to be taken out to replace them.

Is that right or am I talking pure waffle?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast