+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Couple of brake related questions

Firstly, my hill start assist seems to have stopped kicking in for some reason, any suggestions?

Secondly, my brakes lock up really easily and pretty much always have. Could this be an ABS sensor problem or something? They're not big brakes either just standard. Haven't got any lights on or anything.
    | Star Silver Corsa VXR | Milltek Turbo Back W/ Cobra Decat | Ramair Cone W/ Fog Light Air Feed | JS Performance Coolant & Intake Hoses | Airtec FMIC | 395cc Injectors | Forge Recirc | Walbro 255 fuel pump | Forge Subframe Brace | Boot Brace | 50mm H&R Springs W/ Bilstein Shocks | Mtech Short Shifter | Uniroyal Rainsports | Triple R Splitter | OPC Fog Surrounds | Mesh Lower Grille | RS Tuning Mapped | 233 BHP / 251 lb ft |

VXRed

ABS kicking back is more than likely a dodgy abs ring, which I’m sure are magnetic rings on the back of the wheel bearings (someone can correct me if I’m wrong). Best way to diagnose which one without a fault code would be to drive the car while watching the wheel speeds on the live data with suitable diagnostic equipment, whichever one is at fault will have an inconsistent wheel speed signal... can’t help with the hill start assist fault though

Quote Originally Posted by Rossbrown_1 View Post
    ABS kicking back is more than likely a dodgy abs ring, which I’m sure are magnetic rings on the back of the wheel bearings (someone can correct me if I’m wrong). Best way to diagnose which one without a fault code would be to drive the car while watching the wheel speeds on the live data with suitable diagnostic equipment, whichever one is at fault will have an inconsistent wheel speed signal... can’t help with the hill start assist fault though
    Ahh I see well I'd assume it's a front one then, both rear wheel bearings have been replaced at least twice lol. Might look at getting the front two done.
    | Star Silver Corsa VXR | Milltek Turbo Back W/ Cobra Decat | Ramair Cone W/ Fog Light Air Feed | JS Performance Coolant & Intake Hoses | Airtec FMIC | 395cc Injectors | Forge Recirc | Walbro 255 fuel pump | Forge Subframe Brace | Boot Brace | 50mm H&R Springs W/ Bilstein Shocks | Mtech Short Shifter | Uniroyal Rainsports | Triple R Splitter | OPC Fog Surrounds | Mesh Lower Grille | RS Tuning Mapped | 233 BHP / 251 lb ft |

VXRed

If you know a decent garage that would take it a run with the live data on to properly diagnose the fault then you know exactly which wheel the issue is at and avoid replacing pointless parts, unless you just want to change both front bearings anyway

You can test the abs/wheel sensors by unplugging them and connecting it up to a voltmeter and then spin the wheel by hand and you should see change in the readings, the sensor that shows no change on the voltmeter will be faulty and need changing.
    Silver Lightning Corsa VXR

Would of thought if sensor was out your abs light would be on dash, have you checked the fuses and taken battery off to reset ecu’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Couple of brake related questions

Plus if it’s locking up would of thought abs unit itself might have a fault, explain why hill brake doesn’t work.

The battery has been off lately yeah for a few hours when clutch was being changed so I'm guessing that will have reset it.

Yeah that was always my thought that it should have thrown up a light but not sure, might get a voltmeter as above and check the sensors.

When i said abs unit I mean the actual brake abs pump. What year is it fairly new if hill brake so I’m guessing you’re gonna be on the newer software tech3.

I'm drunk at this hour, but I'm still going to answer.
    ABS should be working normal. They're pretty good at throwing fault codes if they're not working right.

At a guess,your rear pads wore low at some stage and the caliper pistons have a nice ring of rust from their excessive protrusion, so when they stick out a certain amount, the ring of rust inhibits them from retracting back into the housing- hence the ABS works, but isn't as effective as it should be on the rear, causing the rear wheels to lock up since the pistons stick out and force the pistons to push the pads against the discs.
    Couple that to the hill-start assist not working- if the rear caliper pistons have limited movement, the hill start assist is less likely to function correctly as the rear calipers will lack the strength to push on the pads.

Check the rear caliper pistons for torn caliper dust seals and a ring of rust on the pistons.

OPC ÉIRE- Drop me a PM for Irish meets, group adds etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast