+ Reply to Thread
    VXR newbie

Default Engine light Constantly Illuminated

Hi, I'm new, so please be patient.

Literally got my Astra J VXR on Saturday & there seems to already be an issue.

It's apparently an emissions fault, is this going to cause major problems down the line or can I hang on a month to get it fixed.

There is black soot type stuff over the exhaust tailpipe trim.

Thanks.

VXRed

Every J VXR out there has black exhaust trims mate so don't worry about that. They run rich while boosting and chuck black smoke out sometimes for that reason, that covers the exhaust trim and rear of the car in no time in carbon.

Depending on the exact issue I wouldn't say you were doing any long term damage from the sounds of it, the only thing I would be worried about with an emissions issue is the catalytic converter being damaged slowly, but I would imagine you'd have a month before any serious degradation.

Obviously, if you can provide more details on the issue, i.e. is it down on power, misfiring etc. someone may be able to advise better. Also age, mileage etc. may help.

Cheers

VXR Nothing comes close vr55vxr's Avatar

You have a warning light for a reason - get the car checked over as we can not tell you want is wrong from just the light

Did you purchase the car via a dealer or private - if dealer take it back

VXR newbie

Quote Originally Posted by V*X*R View Post
    Every J VXR out there has black exhaust trims mate so don't worry about that. They run rich while boosting and chuck black smoke out sometimes for that reason, that covers the exhaust trim and rear of the car in no time in carbon.

Depending on the exact issue I wouldn't say you were doing any long term damage from the sounds of it, the only thing I would be worried about with an emissions issue is the catalytic converter being damaged slowly, but I would imagine you'd have a month before any serious degradation.

Obviously, if you can provide more details on the issue, i.e. is it down on power, misfiring etc. someone may be able to advise better. Also age, mileage etc. may help.

Cheers
    Hi, thanks for a response, the issue has got slightly worse than I thought....started yesterday.

Whilst at a low speed in 2nd gear the car judders like mad, heard a weird pop from the exhaust as well, not the normal pop cackle bang type from overrun.

Also feels like it has lost that "jesus christ' acceleration you get from flooring it in 3rd.

It seems to happen after 20min of driving. I travel about 30min to work & it's quite worrying for the last 10min, I have drive down some very winding & tight country roads.

It's a 62 plate and done 33,000 miles.

The power loss feels like it all the time now, was intermittent till the journey home, today.

VXR newbie

Quote Originally Posted by vr55vxr View Post
    You have a warning light for a reason - get the car checked over as we can not tell you want is wrong from just the light

Did you purchase the car via a dealer or private - if dealer take it back
    It was bought from a used dealership in Mansfield, which is a 100mile journey from where I live.

It has Vauxhall FSH, no mods & I did check as muchas I could. Took it for a test drive & it was fine.

Even on the entire 2.5 hr drive home it was amazing.

So I've booked it into a local independent garage & see what their diagnostic equipment says & go from there.

It has a short warranty, but will need to weigh up if it's worth the drive down to Mansfield.

VXRacing ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    It was bought from a used dealership in Mansfield, which is a 100mile journey from where I live.

It has Vauxhall FSH, no mods & I did check as muchas I could. Took it for a test drive & it was fine.

Even on the entire 2.5 hr drive home it was amazing.

So I've booked it into a local independent garage & see what their diagnostic equipment says & go from there.

It has a short warranty, but will need to weigh up if it's worth the drive down to Mansfield.

£40 quid in fuel .plus time , i would be taken it back to them . If they are reputable , the will take on the issue. If they have turned off the EML , you will soon find out. Then rinse the f54ers for everything you can via the small claims court .If they are network Q even better, they should sort it out. I don't think anyone apart from VX can tell if its been mapped before , previous could have mapped it and returned to oem, then stripped out performance parts and put oem parts back on.

Nice name , one of my favourite films. Hand me the keys.. you.. fyjding c3kfsickwt. Pitty we wont see spacey in any moe films. Trial by media we live in now.
    Last edited by Mrs S Cat; 19th March 2018 at 04:23 AM.

VXRed

O2 sensor wouldn't give the other symptoms you described. Probably another sensor such as crank position sensor. Get it checked out.

+ Reply to Thread