+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 95 Octane fuel.

Default 95 Octane fuel.

Due to the bad weather recently i had to fill my car with normal unleaded (full tank) as my local garage was out of shell v-power due to lack of deliveries. First time i have put 95 octane in my car, especially after it was mapped by Courtenay. I must admit it ran fine but it wasn't as pokey as it normally is (or at least it felt that way). Just filled it with v-power again.
    My Vauxhall history - 92 Cavalier GSI 2000 4x4, 99 Vectra B GSI, 04 Vectra C GSI, 08 Vectra VXR, 15 Insignia VXR

Just don’t take it to the limit on normal 95 if it has been run in on 99 octane as you risk knocking (the engine will be “pinging”). So as long as you are easy on the accelerator it will run just fine. It is only when you push it to the limit that it will really start challenging the ignition point and induce knocking. Also the engine knock sensor will still try to protect the engine by retarding the ignition, even when run in on 99.

As a little curios fact, my Insignia OPC in standard trim and mapping ran about 10-15% longer on 99 than it did on 95, even though it contains no extra energy! It also had a smoother idle, better pickup and noticably more grunt. My current M135i doesn’t do anything on 99 - might change if I get it remapped though.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

I must admit Dalle, i keep getting tempted by German sports cars. I have been arguing with myself for years on going German. Worried about running costs! Love BMW, Aydi and Merc and always wondering should i go for it. I will always go for new or almost new as want a car i know i can trust and rely on. The other problem is prices are far higher than Opel/Vauxhall for a fairly comparable car! Well within reason anyway!
    My Vauxhall history - 92 Cavalier GSI 2000 4x4, 99 Vectra B GSI, 04 Vectra C GSI, 08 Vectra VXR, 15 Insignia VXR

VXRed

My owners manual says the car requires 98, but can run on 95, 91 can only be used in emergency circumsatances.

So im guessing the engine is tuned for 98 out of the factory (somewhat)

Funny thing about German cars. where I am (Australia) it's actually cheaper to run/mod a BMW/Merc etc than an Opel/Vauxhall, despite of the fact that 2.8 litre engine block was made in Australia.
    Last edited by fredoops; 18th March 2018 at 02:17 AM.
    ^^Australian^^
    Car 1: 2016 Insignia VXR (Mods: none installed)
    Car 2: 2003 Mk7 Accord 2.4 (Mods: plenty)

I know people have a general fear of the running costs of a german car, but My M135i is way cheaper to run than the Siggy. It was actually one of the reasons for replacing the Siggy - the running costs were significantly higher than what I saw on some of the premium german cars.

The service intervals are twice as long, brakes last twice as long (and only cost half), MPG is up almost 50% from the OPC (9,4 km/l in the M135i vs 6,3 in the OPC), tyres are cheaper and last longer (at least on the xDrive). General spare part costs are slightly higher, but because the N55 engine is a fairly standard BMW engine and the transmission/drivetrain even more so, the spares for these are way cheaper than engine spares for the A28NER or the AWD system (and the xDrive system seems to be far more reliable than the Haldex). I know the M135i is a smaller car, but remember, running costs for a 3/435i will be the same as the only difference between them is basically the size of the body.

And then it is worth pointing out that compared to the OPC, the M135i is just silly fast and handles completely different! It isn’t anywhere near the Siggy as a cruiser, but as a fun car it is miles ahead!

And then of course, there is depreciation. I know that cannot be compared as Denmark is a fairly special market due to our ridiculous car taxes, but the OPC cost 850.000 DKK from new, I bought mine 4 years old for 300.000 DKK. The M135i cost 830.000 DKK new, I paid 550.000 DKK 3 years old and now a year later, they are still selling at around 500.000 DKK, 4 years old.

So all in all, I wouldn’t be concerned about buying a premium German. I have to admit that although I was hoping that Opel would come out with a new Insignia OPC, my next car will probably be a Merc C43, unless a new OPC is released and comes with a whopper of an engine and great performance...

Quote Originally Posted by fredoops View Post
    My owners manual says the car requires 98, but can run on 95, 91 can only be used in emergency circumsatances.

So im guessing the engine is tuned for 98 out of the factory (somewhat)
    There is an EU directive which requires that any gasoline car sold in the EU can run on 95 unleaded without modification or limitations. But there is no doubt that the engine runs much better on higher octane fuel - and with the added mileage it didn’t really matter what I drive on, it still returned the same cost/km.

I will never go German again. Fraught with electrical issues and gearbox leakages that they like to keep quiet. I speak from experience, they cost as much to run as the insignia, no doubts there, parts and labour are extensively more expensive that insignia, I’ve had 335i, f11 535d, 645i and e60 530d. Each and every one of them failed for almost the same silly reasons according to Bmw.
    That’s my experience which is why I went back to Vauxhall. You just can’t buy cars with all round competency and kick *** pace for th money.
    Current: Insignia VXR Supersport Unlimited, Corsa Black Edition 1.4t mapped (157bhp).
    Previous: Astra J VXR white (65), Monaro VXR 6.0 LS2, insignia 2.0t sidi vx-line nav (289bhp), V22VXR Vectra VXR Black, Black carbon Flash Insignia VX-Line Nav...215bhp, Astra Gte 2.0l Bertone! MK1 Gte, MK2 Gte 16v, Vectra Gsi 3.2, VXR8 LS2, Astra VXRacing 483.

VXR enough

Quote Originally Posted by Dalle1985 View Post
    There is an EU directive which requires that any gasoline car sold in the EU can run on 95 unleaded without modification or limitations. But there is no doubt that the engine runs much better on higher octane fuel - and with the added mileage it didn’t really matter what I drive on, it still returned the same cost/km.
    That's right, but if the engine has been mapped, Courts say that it should always run on the grade it was mapped on to prevent overheating, though a lower grade is OK in an emergency and the engine is not pushed hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporticus View Post
    I will never go German again. Fraught with electrical issues and gearbox leakages that they like to keep quiet. I speak from experience, they cost as much to run as the insignia, no doubts there, parts and labour are extensively more expensive that insignia, I’ve had 335i, f11 535d, 645i and e60 530d. Each and every one of them failed for almost the same silly reasons according to Bmw.
    That’s my experience which is why I went back to Vauxhall. You just can’t buy cars with all round competency and kick *** pace for th money.
    I’ve had two BMWs, my parents 4 BMWs, 2 Audis and 2 Mercs and none of those have ever had any significant issues and the running costs have generally been very reasonable compared to my two Siggys (an OPC and a CDTi). The best example is brakes, Opel quoted med 3000£ for a complete brake replacement - I found the parts cheaper online (so it “only” ended up costing me 1300£), BMW just replaced all 4 brakes on the M135i (2x345 front, 2x355 rear) for 900£ In parts and labor.

My two siggys (german cars as well BTW all Insignias are built in Rüsselheim, even if it bears a vx badge) both suffered from all sorts of electrical gremlins, the OPC ate the chains, the diesel blew piping constantly and they were extremely heavy on fuel.

Morale of the story, you can get lemons with every make, my experience with the premium germans is very good.

Yes Dalle, would like to see a new OPC/VXR Insignia being released and maybe buy it if is an improvement on the old one. Not interested in the GSI. They look nice but just dont have enough grunt. As i said before, would really like to boost the power on mine but the Haldex is a concern even with the TMS upgrade. I dont tknow if i would want to spend that kind of money anyway on tuning! Hopefully a hot Insignia will be released in the not too distant future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast