+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    VXRed

When I left work this evening, I quickly swapped coil 2 with coil 6... So it was in 4... the problem seemingly followed it to 2 when I swapped it... so theory says it'll follow it to 6 now.

And guess what? It weirdly took a lot of effort to make it misfire enough to get a fault code logged, but it did indeed follow to cylinder 6. I'm still getting a code from cylinder 5 as well though... Drive home was pretty poor, definitely feeling like it's lacking power throughout the range, but still drives smoothly as long as I give it 50% throttle at most.

So when I got home, I swapped the coil with coincidentally the original one from cylinder 6. The one I removed when I fitted a brand new one to seemingly replace a perfectly fine coil. Took it for a drive and it's nearly a whole new animal. I say nearly because... it's feeling like it's got its power back, it's definitely not missing so hard anymore... BUT, it is still missing under heavy load in third gear. Not in second gear anymore... so I'm wondering if that cylinder 5 code wasn't actually a random code but a genuine one.. but it's not missing enough for the ECU to recognise a misfire and report a fault code so I can't see easily if it's still reporting a misfire on cylinder 5.

I've only got Torque Pro on my Android phone over a bluetooth ELM327, so I don't think I can do much more... but is there any way I can see what is going on with each cylinder? Like live values or something that might tell me realtime what is going on? Or would I need something more advanced like Tech2 or ******* for that sort of diagnostics?

So my current thoughts are switching between:

1) Coil 5 is buggered too... buy a new one to replace it
    2) Coil 5 is buggered too... buy 5 to replace them all. I've already got one brand new
    3) Coil 5 is buggered too... buy two so replace it and have a spare
    4) Is coil 6 that I've just fitted maybe buggered as well, just not as bad as the one that I've just taken off? Buy a new one to find out

I want to pick thought 2 and just replace the lot, but that's expensive... Does anyone have any recommendations for decent priced coils?

Any ideas on the P0090 code? Could it just be a side effect of the buggered coils, or is it likely to be a separate issue that still needs looking at? After I cleared the codes earlier, it did come back... I did clear the codes again after swapping the coil and it hasn't come back yet, but I only went for a 5-10 minute drive...

Sorry if I'm rambling a bit

Does anybody know the part number on the gm/ngk plugs for the vectra vxr? My mate bought ngk plugs for his bur i think they the wrong plug, part number on them is DILFR7B-10G
    Last edited by stevenbarrowVXR; 16th May 2018 at 08:11 PM.
    Rabbid Tuned Stage 4.5 - 355bhp - TD S3 Hybrid, AET ported exhaust manifold, TS 10psi actuator, TS recirc valve, Full 3" Piper decat non-res exhaust, Forge intercooler, AEM dual nozzle WMI kit, cdti hose with AEM cone, Regal cams, Klasen inlet manifold, Piper single valve springs, Percy retainers, PEC i-beam rods+ARP bolts, Skimmed Head, Protec 340lph fuel pump, Siemens 630cc injectors, AP front big brake kit, Vectra VXR rear brake conversion

VXRed blooded

Quote Originally Posted by stevenbarrowVXR View Post
    Does anybody know the part number on the gm/ngk plugs for the vectra vxr? My mate bought ngk plugs for his bur i think they the wrong plug, part number on them is ILFR7B-10G
    Just wondering how this relates to the issue the OP is posting about?
    Vectra VXR estate 07

Because my mate has exact same problem and he is for changing plugs to see if it cures the issue so want to make sure he buys the correct plugs because if he buys wrong plugs issue may remain but could still be plugs to blame
    Last edited by stevenbarrowVXR; 16th May 2018 at 08:22 PM.
    Rabbid Tuned Stage 4.5 - 355bhp - TD S3 Hybrid, AET ported exhaust manifold, TS 10psi actuator, TS recirc valve, Full 3" Piper decat non-res exhaust, Forge intercooler, AEM dual nozzle WMI kit, cdti hose with AEM cone, Regal cams, Klasen inlet manifold, Piper single valve springs, Percy retainers, PEC i-beam rods+ARP bolts, Skimmed Head, Protec 340lph fuel pump, Siemens 630cc injectors, AP front big brake kit, Vectra VXR rear brake conversion

Are you VXR enough?

Quote Originally Posted by stevenbarrowVXR View Post
    Because my mate has exact same problem and he is for changing plugs to see if it cures the issue so want to make sure he buys the correct plugs because if he buys wrong plugs issue may remain but could still be plugs to blame
    That's the plugs that VX supply for normal running, if the car is mapped then they will need to be re-gapped?

VXRed blooded

Try part number 55564748

VXRed

I used NGK PLFR6C-10G in mine. Apparently they're the ones Vauxhall recommend & supply, although I'm not sure if it's different for the VXR. Mine is the non-VXR 2.8 Turbo 230.

So bit of an update... as above, I swapped the bad coil with a spare old one I had and the problem got better... I managed to coax it into misfiring enough to register a code again (although it took a hammering from 40mph in 6th to get the ECU to register it) and it now only says cylinder 5. So that's a good bet it's another bad coil.

Saw another thread on here about coil packs and there were a few links to recommended coil packs. There were some that were a bit cheap but seemed to get good press so I bought 2x coils. Arrived yesterday so last night I went and swapped the already new coil onto cylinder 5... then put the 2x new ones onto cylinder 1 and 3. That means the rear bank is now all new coils. That way I don't have to mess about swapping them around later. I put one of the coils I removed from the good cylinders onto the front bank so the front is now all old (but goodish) coils.

Juddering misfire issue is now gone. No matter what gear, no matter how low the revs are, if I floor it, it doesn't judder / misfire. So that's a good start.

Now, when I swapped the first bad coil out, I cleared the error codes and the P0090 code obviously went with it. It doesn't appear to have come back over the last 3-4 days... but the car does feel like it's down on power a bit. Especially in the higher gears. It pulls OK in first and second, but the higher gears are smooth but feel a bit... heavy? If that makes sense? It just doesn't seem so responsive and the engine sound seems a little bit muted. It might just be me, but it doesn't feel like I remember it being.

It's been suggested to change fuel filter in relation to the P0090 code so I'll get that done, but wasn't sure if that was related to the possible lack of power. I'd like to change the other three coils on the front bank as well, but I didn't want to pay out too much on cheap crap coils so I'll see how these go for a little bit...

Would a weak coil potentially just cause a lack of power but no misfire feeling? Or would it always cause the misfire? Just wondering if it could just be that the three older coils are causing the lack of power, but logic says to me that I'd feel the misfire rather than just lack of response.

Default Z28NET misfiring / very rough running

From what people have said lack of power and the judder/misfire, you’re getting a spark but as it’s getting on the sparks not as good as a new one out the packet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4