+ Reply to Thread
    VXRed

Question Possibly a 2nd VXR in the drive....Astra or Corsa???????

as per the title i'm looking to maybe get a 2nd smaller VXR to play with but I'm wondering if anyone has come from either the Astra J or Corsa E VXR's to the Insignia who could give a direct comparison...dont want to end up with 2 similar cars.
    The 2nd car would be mostly for the work commute / shorter drives but needs to be fun.

They are nothing like the Insignia. I looked at an Astra J OPC when it came out, and it is a drivers car much more than the Insignia, harder, more direct and a lot nimbler. But it is FWD and it tells. It is a lot better than previous Astra OPCs, but it does still understeer on the limit.

I have a friend who had a Corsa OPC, it was a real little hooligan, but he got rid of it faurly quickly as it was his only car and it was very harsh to drive.

Does it have to be a Vx though? If I was in the market for a car in that segment, I would consider a Golf GTI. It is less powerful than the Astra, but it handles a lot better and the engine has a lot of potential. Also, the DSG box is a real peach.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

VXRed

Golf GTI and Polo GTI are in the mix along with possibly the Golf R but they just look bland and I hate the 70's check cloth and alcantara seats.
    The Corsa has fun factor but i'd be worried its too skitish to commute in unless at 10/10ths which is just asking for trouble.
    Astra has always caught my eye, just looks right and is comfy...i'm a shortarse at 5ft6 and oddly VX cars just seem to be able to be set up to suit folk like me.
    Never been into Fords or French stuff and Japs sporty stuff doesn't do it for me...except maybe the Nissan 370 and GTR....370's are in the price range but its more a sunday car

Quote Originally Posted by Dalle1985 View Post
    They are nothing like the Insignia. I looked at an Astra J OPC when it came out, and it is a drivers car much more than the Insignia, harder, more direct and a lot nimbler. But it is FWD and it tells. It is a lot better than previous Astra OPCs, but it does still understeer on the limit.

I have a friend who had a Corsa OPC, it was a real little hooligan, but he got rid of it faurly quickly as it was his only car and it was very harsh to drive.

Does it have to be a Vx though? If I was in the market for a car in that segment, I would consider a Golf GTI. It is less powerful than the Astra, but it handles a lot better and the engine has a lot of potential. Also, the DSG box is a real peach.
    Few bolt ons for the "older opcs" and it's a very different story
    W20 ADM's led Lighting shop, see link below for details
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-lighting-shop

Quote Originally Posted by genman View Post
    Golf GTI and Polo GTI are in the mix along with possibly the Golf R but they just look bland and I hate the 70's check cloth and alcantara seats.
    The Corsa has fun factor but i'd be worried its too skitish to commute in unless at 10/10ths which is just asking for trouble.
    Astra has always caught my eye, just looks right and is comfy...i'm a shortarse at 5ft6 and oddly VX cars just seem to be able to be set up to suit folk like me.
    Never been into Fords or French stuff and Japs sporty stuff doesn't do it for me...except maybe the Nissan 370 and GTR....370's are in the price range but its more a sunday car
    Sounds like you’ve been through the same thoughts as me before I bought the M135:

I testdrove the Golf R but had the exact same feeling, it just felt bland and sterile. It is a very competent car, but it feels a bit like a doctors waiting room.
    The Astra OPC was in my considerations for a moment, but as mentioned, the FWD is a bit of a deal breaker for me. It is too powerful for the driveline. Also, with the depreciation here in Denmark, the car will quickly become so cheap that the front disks will cost more!
    Focus RS (the new one) - crazy fast, but about as comfortable as a WRC car! And the interior mostly resembles something from a mid-90s Toyota
    Audi S3 - like the Golf R just more expensive!
    Audi RS3 - sounds like a Group B rally car, but it is also as rough as one... AND EXPENSIVE!
    Audi S4 - I really like the engine in this one (huge potential) but the prices are crazy here in Denmark, and it is a bit of a heavy brute (actually it handles quite similar to the Insignia OPC)
    A45 AMG - too bloody expensive! But otherwise a very cool little car, although somewhat harsh ride.
    Seat Leon ST Cupra AWD DSG - performance is good, handling likewise, but I’ve already owned a Seat once, and it wasn’t a nice experience (horrible quality). As a driving tool it is actually pretty good, so it might just be my own prejudice towards Seat.
    Didn’t really consider anything Japanese as I think the Civic Type R looks like something designed by a 10-year old and there really isn’t anything else interesting available from Japan in the price range.

M135/140i - not nearly as focused as the A45 and RS3, not as quick as the Focus RS, a bit less boring than the R and the S3. So all in all a compromise between everything but I really like the way it sounds with that I6 engine, the auto box is an absolute peach (I’ve never been a fan of the feel of a BMW manual) and although mine is an Xdrive, it still has a bit of the feel of an RWD, it will let you slip and slide slightly before bringing it in, and in S+ mode, you can get some pretty good oversteering going on! So unless you have something against BMW, you should give one a spin. Also considered a 335i and a 435i grand coupe, but I don’t need the space, and the 1-series handles better.
    Last edited by Dalle1985; 25th March 2018 at 01:03 PM.

VXRed

manual 135 is in my budget and build quality is nice... 3 door is a bonus.
    just need to try the newer ones out.... was in the 1st generation 1 series and it was lively but was just 120i so didnt do it for me performance wise.... its also pretty economical vs many of its rivals

Didn't think you could get the 135/140i in XDrive thought they were all RWD?

Quote Originally Posted by Cal93 View Post
    Didn't think you could get the 135/140i in XDrive thought they were all RWD?
    I think that might be the case in UK, but on the continent it is available with xDrive. Actually, in Denmark, if you buy an auto, you can only get it as an AWD

Quote Originally Posted by genman View Post
    manual 135 is in my budget and build quality is nice... 3 door is a bonus.
    just need to try the newer ones out.... was in the 1st generation 1 series and it was lively but was just 120i so didnt do it for me performance wise.... its also pretty economical vs many of its rivals
    The M135i has about twice the power of the 120, so I think you will be quite satisfied with the power

In terms of economy, my M135i mpg is 50% up from the Insignia! With sensible driving 40 MPG is not at all impossible! My record over 120 miles with 400 lbs in the rear for half the trip was 43 mpg! With RWD and a manual, you might even be able to improve on that.

+ Reply to Thread