+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Super unleaded ??

I have to admit to filling my J with normal unleaded petrol as I fill up at my local Asda. I have read on vxro that Tesco higher rated unleaded is better but the nearest is approximately 6 miles away. I was in Sainsbury's today and filled up with super unleaded which is 5p dearer than normal unleaded. There are no octane figures on any of the pumps. Does anyone know about it or rate this fuel ??

VXRed

Shell V-Power, which I use, is also recommended if you have that locally. The Sainsburys super is 97 I believe, so partway between the regular 95 and the 99 of Tesco and Shell premium fuels, but it will also contain detergents if its a 'proper' super fuel, so probably worth using it over the regular unleaded.

Quote Originally Posted by V*X*R View Post
    Shell V-Power, which I use, is also recommended if you have that locally. The Sainsburys super is 97 I believe, so partway between the regular 95 and the 99 of Tesco and Shell premium fuels, but it will also contain detergents if its a 'proper' super fuel, so probably worth using it over the regular unleaded.
    ta for info. Its a bit of a drag driving over to tesco as I dont go in that direction normally so i will stick to Sainsburys for now.

VXRed

I'm fairly new to all this. Do people tend to use a super unleaded in these cars ? As a rule.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

i tend to use ordinary unleaded for 3 years with no issues at all. The cars run better on super unleaded so have now drifted onto using it.

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by bottlebill View Post
    i tend to use ordinary unleaded for 3 years with no issues at all. The cars run better on super unleaded so have now drifted onto using it.
    So you have noticed a difference your self ?

VXRed

A number of people have noticed a difference. I personally haven't as I have never used regular unleaded in this car. If you can, put super unleaded in. It's a high performance engine after all.

The higher the octane rating the More the fuel can compress without detonating. With 95 octane you will get more detonation and knock because it can only withstand a certain amount of compression before it detonates, so the ecu retards the ignition time slightly, so the car will become less responsive and therefor less bhp. Now we are talking sort of 5-10bhp but it all adds up! With 99 octane fuel it can withstand more compression before it detonates, so the ecu can advance the ignition timing more making the car more responsive and making more bhp. Simple really. V Power all day long

Quote Originally Posted by V:X:R View Post
    So you have noticed a difference your self ?

Yes. Definitely runs better for it . Not a big difference as I have light feet!

I will have a run to Tesco for a tank full. Ta for the good explanation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast