+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fuel to use?

Hi all, when I first got my Astra GTC VXR I was using the normal unleaded as the sticker on the back of the petrol cap had been removed. I asked the question to a friend of mine & he said through & through you should be using Super Unleaded. Since changing to the super stuff I have really felt a difference on the whole performance & sound too.

FYI I use an app called ‘PetrolPrices’ once you fill in the details it locates the nearest & cheapest petrol station to where you are by using GPS.

BTW enjoy the new Corsa fella & like mentioned keep them arms open for a future VXR & also to the new Arden owner, mate looking sharp 👍🏻👌🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ManLikeJenks View Post
    I’m sure this has been asked 1000000 times but I can’t get the right answer.

I’m running a 1.4T 150bhp corsa. This is my first “real” sporty car as I had a 1.2 corsa before. As I’m only 20 I can’t afford a VXR.

It is brand new and has about 500 miles. I would like to hear what is the best fuel to run. At the mo I have been using Jet unleaded. Is this fine or should I be trying to use more premium fuel?

Cheers guys

In the olden days it use to tell you in your manual what grade of fuel to use and on a car sticker on some - on VXRs there was a recommendation to use RON98 graded fuel as usually RON95 fuel there would be a loss of power, however im not too sure if the electronics on yours would take advantage of better graded fuel

HOWEVER as Ron99 fuels appear to be the only fuels with cleaning detergents contain in them if you were to keep the car more than 3yrs this may help you keep future bills down, however yet again there is a new process now that de-carbons your engine so again this could save you issues and "bring back to life" in later years

All I can say is try Ron99 fuel and see what happens - if you dont do many miles this may be the cheapest method to maintain your vehicle - hth

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by som72som View Post
    Hi all, when I first got my Astra GTC VXR I was using the normal unleaded as the sticker on the back of the petrol cap had been removed. I asked the question to a friend of mine & he said through & through you should be using Super Unleaded. Since changing to the super stuff I have really felt a difference on the whole performance & sound too.

FYI I use an app called ‘PetrolPrices’ once you fill in the details it locates the nearest & cheapest petrol station to where you are by using GPS.

BTW enjoy the new Corsa fella & like mentioned keep them arms open for a future VXR & also to the new Arden owner, mate looking sharp 👍🏻👌🏻

Yeah I never knew the difference between fuel types!

Cheers for the app mate going to download that now!

I can’t wait for a VXR but at the age of 21 the insurance is way to much!

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by R15VXR View Post
    In the olden days it use to tell you in your manual what grade of fuel to use and on a car sticker on some - on VXRs there was a recommendation to use RON98 graded fuel as usually RON95 fuel there would be a loss of power, however im not too sure if the electronics on yours would take advantage of better graded fuel
    My second car is a Swift Sport and despite the fuel flap saying 95RON and despite it not being boosted it prefers higher octane fuels.
    It pulls better at low rpms (will pull 6th at 30mph on 99RON but only 5th on 95RON), pulls better up hills and revs more freely at the top end.
    There's also a slight improvement in mpg when using, say, Momentum compared to regular 95 which goes some way to offsetting the extra cost of TM99.

My 2.8 Insignia is the same, although its manual does recommend 98RON or higher.

I think the headline hp figure is obtained using the fuel type recommended in the manual.
    If fuels with lower octane are used the hp may well be less and the engine not as happy - even to the point of engine/piston damage such as is being experienced by LSPI in the Astra mk7 1.4T DI engines and possibly to some extent in the 1.0T engines.
    LSPI being a complex combination of factors associated with highly-boosted DI engines and not helped by cheap fuel.

Regarding fuel type and keeping direct injection engines from coked valves, I can't see how it will make much difference.
    Insignia Elite 2.8T (2012), Viva SE-AC (2017).

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by ManLikeJenks View Post
    Good mate!

You had any crazy speeds yet? (On private roads of course) 😉 and did you buy it brand new?

Haha I've not done any crazy speed on my private road. Just nice to have the power.

I have noticed a massive difference. Engine is smoother and quieter maybe sycological haha

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3