+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default De spelling the myth of waxes "designed for dark/light colours blah blah"

Now sorry car wax companies if I'm bursting your bubble but this needs to be said ........

Now, in the olden days a cars paint was single stage. This was generally laid out like so

Panel was primed and sanded, then a single stage paint , usually urethane based which also provided the gloss, the depth of gloss wasn't as good as modern paint, but it was all done in one go. Classic restorations usually still use a single stage paint as it allows a more authentic period correct look.

Nowadays paint is 2 stage. After primer a base coat (which also provides the colour) is applied, this is usually a very thin layer as it doesn't need to be thick as it is then protected by .........

A top layer of CLEAR coat. This is applied much thicker as it is this which gives the paint job the depth of shine you see when nice and clean. This also provides uv protection as well as a physical barrier of protection against base coat damage.

Regardless of whether the base colour underneath is dark, light, pink, purple with yellow dots, orange with dark green tiger stripes ......... you get the idea, they ALL are topped by the same colour (clear!). The outermost layer of this CLEAR coat is what the wax adheres to so regardless of how a wax is formulated it's always being applied to the same thing, whether the coat underneath is dark or light!

This isn't to say any of these waxes are good, bad or whatever, just that the claimed "better" look on "X"coloured cars is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. There's no magic formula, all waxes sit on the clear coat. If a wax applied on a 2 stage paint with black underneath looks good you'll get that same shine on a car that's got white underneath.

Granted plenty of people will probably ignore this and think in their own heads they're seeing a magically improved shine when using these waxes cause their car's black etc. But you know what they say .....

There's a sucker born every minute.

Thanks for looking.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    W20 ADM's led Lighting shop, see link below for details
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-lighting-shop

Do you think it's something to do with the "filler" element of these waxes/polishes etc?

Astra

Quote Originally Posted by IanJ View Post
    Do you think it's something to do with the "filler" element of these waxes/polishes etc?
    Fillers in Polishes fill clear coat ..... The base coat is undisturbed, it will do the same thing to any coloured car .....

Well said mate ��

Quote Originally Posted by w20adm View Post
    Fillers in Polishes fill clear coat ..... The base coat is undisturbed, it will do the same thing to any coloured car .....
    What I mean is that if it's coloured then in theory it will fill the clear coat with a colour that matches the actual colour - I don't use anything colour related myself so I can't comment hence asked the question.

Astra

Quote Originally Posted by IanJ View Post
    What I mean is that if it's coloured then in theory it will fill the clear coat with a colour that matches the actual colour - I don't use anything colour related myself so I can't comment hence asked the question.
    It doesn't work that way though. You can't mix a coloured product into the clearcoat as it would totally spoil the reflections.

This is why a fully flattened piece of clear from a compounding and final polishing will be the glossies shiniest finish you'll ever see, because it has a perfectly uniform light reflection coming back off of it.

**** I have always been using the light coloured wax on the yellow bits and the dark coloured wax on the purple bits on my car. Used to take me ages

That’s the problem having a purple car with yellow dots!

What about Veet/Immac? Doesn't it become a bit racist then Ads?

Are you VXR enough? Nurburgring 223's Avatar

Nice to know, so any difference in using a wax at £15 or £100, do they still do the exact same job?
    Astra VXR GTC, Summit White, Aero Pack, Performance Seat Pack, AFL's, Sat Nav, Climate Control, Tints! SOLD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast